Spruce trees for lunch????

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Spruce trees for lunch????

Post by Minimalist »

Anyway, here's the story on Au. Sediba

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/scien ... ggest.html
Almost two million years after their last meals, two members of a prehuman species in southern Africa left traces in their teeth of what they had eaten then, as well as over a lifetime of foraging. Scientists were surprised to find that these hominins apparently lived almost exclusively on a diet of leaves, fruits, wood and bark.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

circumspice wrote: By the way, boiling water in leather isn't all that difficult, or for that matter, in a clay lined pit or a hollowed out log either. But Native Americans weren't always 'pre-pottery'. They had ceramics for
a LONG time prior to the arrival of Europeans.
True, but I am focusing on YD and older, and to my knowledge there has been no evidence of any pottery then. However, I have often wondered why there has been no discovery of a clay pit. It seems that a pit should survive.

Ok, heat rocks in a fire and put them into a pit, log, or pouch. Let's see, how would this go:

"Hey you, low man on the totem pole (metaphor), pick up hot rocks and put them into the pit."
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right question.

"The track of a glacier is as unmistakable as that of a man or a bear, and is as significant and trustworthy as any other legible inscription"
John Strong Newberry; 1873
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Farpoint wrote:
circumspice wrote: By the way, boiling water in leather isn't all that difficult, or for that matter, in a clay lined pit or a hollowed out log either. But Native Americans weren't always 'pre-pottery'. They had ceramics for
a LONG time prior to the arrival of Europeans.
True, but I am focusing on YD and older, and to my knowledge there has been no evidence of any pottery then. However, I have often wondered why there has been no discovery of a clay pit. It seems that a pit should survive.
Ok, heat rocks in a fire and put them into a pit, log, or pouch. Let's see, how would this go:

"Hey you, low man on the totem pole (metaphor), pick up hot rocks and put them into the pit."
"Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense."
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

"Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense."
True again, but I also wonder about the inverted radio carbon sequences that show up from time to time; eg Hyde Park paleontological site, Mastodon (Fisher; 2008), they can't all be trampling, it's too perfect.

"The track of a glacier is as unmistakable as that of a man or a bear, and is as significant and trustworthy as any other legible inscription"
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Absence of evidence is indeed evidence of absence..... it is not PROOF of absence.

The fact that there is no evidence for invisible pink unicorns drinking margaritas in a Tiajuana bar on Mardi Gras does not mean they are real.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

:shock:

:lol:

:mrgreen:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

I see you're still confused, min -
You need to look at the right setting, at the right time, with the correct tools -

Its Cabo on Cinco de Mayo with tequila.

Its New Orleans on Mardi Gras with Hurricanes.

Of course, any discovery requires validation and reduplication by independent observers.
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

Ok, while doggy was tracking squirrels in the park we accidentally discovered black walnuts on the ground, which was attracting the squirrels. They have a green covering around the nut. Peeling the pulp off the nut with bare hands is a mistake, you end up with black stained hands that are very resistant to cleaning. I'm sure the paleoindians used it as a dye.

Edit to add Wiki link:

Black Walnut

Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

Farpoint wrote:Ok, while doggy was tracking squirrels in the park we accidentally discovered black walnuts on the ground, which was attracting the squirrels. They have a green covering around the nut. Peeling the pulp off the nut with bare hands is a mistake, you end up with black stained hands that are very resistant to cleaning. I'm sure the paleoindians used it as a dye.

Edit to add Wiki link:

Black Walnut
ah yes tannin....
You just tanned your own hide..so ta speak

There is a pond in western Massachusetts (near tannery falls of course) that is the color of a strong tea brew. I'm not sure if this is natural or a result of the commercial tannery that was there 100 or more years ago.
Tannery Pond Savoy MA.
The brook from the ponds dam..a somewhat better image of the tea colored water
Regards Ernie
Farpoint

Post by Farpoint »

Ernie L wrote: ah yes tannin....
You just tanned your own hide..so ta speak

There is a pond in western Massachusetts (near tannery falls of course) that is the color of a strong tea brew. I'm not sure if this is natural or a result of the commercial tannery that was there 100 or more years ago.
Indeed, and we did not know previous to our experience. Also, tannins are necessary for tanning, heh heh. [From the movie KPAX: "hospital...hospitable, hmm".]