Brad at it again

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

Brad at it again

Post by E.P. Grondine »

As I can't get this to post to Lepper's blog, I'll post it here:

Bradley, you left out of your summary Meggers demonstration of identical watercraft and housing technologies shared by the two areas.

And that that trans-pacific contact spanned TWO cultures.

Also, to my knowledge, Meggers always claimed that those contacts were accidental and one way.
uniface

Re: Brad at it again

Post by uniface »

Or was it this one (that I edited the garbage out of) ?
The largest ever genetic study of native South Americans identified a sub-population in Ecuador with an unexpected link to eastern Asia.The study, published in PLOS Genetics, concluded that Asian genes had been introduced into South America sometime after 6,000 years ago — the same time the Jomon culture was flourishing in Japan.

Back in the 1960s, the renowned Smithsonian archaeologist Betty Meggers argued that similarities between the pottery of the contemporaneous Valdivia culture in Ecuador and Japan’s Jomon culture indicated that Japanese fishermen had “discovered” America about 5,000 years ago. Few archaeologists took this idea seriously. Writing in 1980, Meggers expressed frustration that transoceanic contact as an explanation for cultural similarities was dismissed by dogmatic colleagues as “cult archaeology,” and she complained that “no amount of evidence” could convince them.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ntact.html

Actual evidence is NEVER at the center of any issue like this. The crux is whether the model of the past the Grand Sachems have in their heads allows something to seem plausible.

IOW, it's not about data or the interpretation of data, but about dictating prescribed belief.
shawomet

Re: Brad at it again

Post by shawomet »

Not taking sides on this. Just looking for articles pro or con. This one is con.

http://www.stcroixarchaeology.org/files ... aggett.pdf