Fawcett and Blavatsky

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

shawomet

Fawcett and Blavatsky

Post by shawomet »

Most of us have probably heard of Col. Percy Fawcett, the explorer who disappeared with his son on an expedition in search of what he believed was a city of gold, which he simply called Z, and located somewhere in the eastern region of the Amazon. This film explores the influence of Madamne Blavatsky's ideas on the motivation behind this fatal journey. Apparently, the Percy's were quite taken by theosophy. The film ends with an overview of present day archaeological discoveries in the western Amazon, in a region that Fawcett had explored at one time, and whose notes are still used by today's archaeologists. Percy captured the imagination in his day. Insightful look at the guy. Couple years old, but if the subject interests, enjoy! :D 8)

http://m.video.pbs.org/video/1889269948/
oldarchystudent

Re: Fawcett and Blavatsky

Post by oldarchystudent »

David Grann's "The Lost City of Z" was a sometimes harrowing account of recent attempts to retrace Fawcett's explorations. A good read.
My karma ran over my dogma.
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

oldarchystudent wrote:David Grann's "The Lost City of Z" was a sometimes harrowing account of recent attempts to retrace Fawcett's explorations. A good read.
Thanks. Just checked it out and read some reviews. Sounds very good.
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

Fawcett's signet ring and part of his survey equipment were found....did I miss the part where they stated by whom and where ???
Regards Ernie
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

Ernie L wrote:Fawcett's signet ring and part of his survey equipment were found....did I miss the part where they stated by whom and where ???
They did not definitively answer that question. The producers stated that there were known to be rebel troops in the area of the last camp where the Fawcett party was known to be, Dead Horse, at that time, and they may have killed the 3 Brits, and that's how the signet ring eventually ended up in a shop. This article below discusses the many theories of the Fawcett parties fate. As well as the speculation of those who think the party succeeded. Speculation often fills a vacuum when no definitive answers are forthcoming..

http://kosmo.hubpages.com/hub/Where-Are ... el-Fawcett

"In a more speculative vein, Fawcett was a theosophist or mystic, who had studied the teachings of Madame Blavatsky, famous psychic and founder of the Theosophical Society. Fawcett believed his eldest son Jack was a reincarnated spirit destined to become some kind of messiah. Before Jack was born in Ceylon, Buddhists and soothsayers correctly predicted that Jack would be born on the Buddha's anniversary, May 19, 1903, one month later than the expected date of birth. They also predicted that Jack would have a birthmark on his right foot, unusual toes, and that his eyes would have an "obliquity," all of which turned out to be true. (Fawcett wrote about this revelation in an article for the Occult Review.)

In Brian Fawcett's co-called Secret Papers, he wrote that his father wanted to deliver his son Jack to the "Earth Guardians" of the Great White Brotherhood (white for purity not race). Some Fawcett enthusiasts think Fawcett found these advanced people and that he now resides in the subterranean city of Ibez, also called Matau-Araacauga, somewhere in the Roncador section of the Mato Grosso.

But others think Fawcett went elsewhere. Reportedly, Fawcett started off at the city of Cuiabá in Brazil and then traveled northeast toward the upper Xingu, where he sent - via native runner - his last transmittal to his wife, telling her essentially not to come looking for him if he didn't return. In the novel, Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils, Indy also travels northeast, looking for Z, hoping to find Fawcett too, of course, between the Xingu and Araguaia Rivers, where a mountain range supposedly lay. The story takes place in 1926, when the maps of the area weren't reliable, but the maps of today don't show any mountain range between those rivers.

In this Seven Veils story, the inhabitants of Z have paranormal powers, with which they "veil" the mountain range from the view of outsiders, so they can't crash the party. Naturally, Indy crashes the party, as he always seems to do! However, in the preface to the play, AmaZonia, based on Brian Fawcett's Secret Papers, the author says that Fawcett trekked northwest from Cuiabá, but just exactly where in the northwest nobody knows for certain. Perhaps Fawcett ventured into the Serra do Tombador, a mountain range northwest of Cuiabá. By all accounts, factual or fictional, Fawcett disappeared in a mountainous area with a nearby river. (The Arinos River lies to the east of the Serra do Tombador).

If Colonel Fawcett didn't find immortality or at least an extended life span, then he's as dead as a mahogany table. But maybe his grave could be located - if it's marked in some way. However, locating Colonel Fawcett's final resting place could be as difficult as finding the elusive El Dorado."
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

It seems strange to me that the most interesting evidence..indeed the only real evidence is not pursued....instead we get overly dramatic shallow river crossings. I expect that with the discovery/history channel, not so much with PBS.

Thanks for the link which cleared up some what where the items were found.. The ring with a shop keeper. No one talked to this shop keeper ??....and "In 1933, Fawcett's theodolite was found near the camp of the Bacaari Indians in the Mato Grosso. " once again..who found it ,was it sold as well..by whom to whom ?

Out side of the colonies the world can be a very dangerous place for colonialists (aka tourists.) They were most likely robbed and killed by non Indians..their belongings pawned. Their bones fed many generations of mice.
Fools on a foolish mission. I don't want to pretend to be wiser or less foolish than these fellows..they were a product of their class and time..

If I was a young man looking for adventure I'd probably have signed on as well..These days I would make a different decision . I have lived outside of the colonies( Pax Romana) so to speak. I'm older and much wiser now.....and if not wiser at least more cynical .
Regards Ernie
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

“Out side of the colonies the world can be a very dangerous place for colonialists (aka tourists.) They were most likely robbed and killed by non Indians..their belongings pawned. Their bones fed many generations of mice. “

O K Ernie, I’ll bite.
Why “non-Indians“?
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

kbs2244 wrote:“Out side of the colonies the world can be a very dangerous place for colonialists (aka tourists.) They were most likely robbed and killed by non Indians..their belongings pawned. Their bones fed many generations of mice. “

O K Ernie, I’ll bite.
Why “non-Indians“?
A couple of things really...The fact that the ring was in the hands of a shop keeper..and most likely sold to the shop keeper. I am more inclined to believe rebel soldiers,bandits, or corrupt police would know the value of a gold ring and the connections to dispose of it. Testimony blaming the Indians seems a little suspicious .. and well OK..intuition...
Regards Ernie
uniface

Post by uniface »

In 1933, Fawcett's theodolite was found near the camp of the Bacaari Indians in the Mato Grosso.
When I was a kid I picked up and brought home all kinds of unfamiliar, intriguing-looking stuff I didn't understand. I sure didn't kill people for it.

FWIW