Any verification on Azores pyramid?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

oldarchystudent

Any verification on Azores pyramid?

Post by oldarchystudent »

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c16_1380 ... comments=1

The video, unfortunately for me, is in what I think is Portugese, but the sonar plot is interesting. However, I have not seen any mainstream media pick this story up, and haven't seen any verification. Any thoughts on how legit this claim is?

Jim
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.77 KiB) Viewed 15615 times
My karma ran over my dogma.
Cognito

Re: Any verification on Azores pyramid?

Post by Cognito »

The structure is 40 meters deep, well within scuba diving range. Until someone dives on it with a camera, the interpretation that it is a pyramid as opposed to a submerged hill is simply speculation. Bathymetry can be deceiving.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Even with a dive you'll probably still end up with a Yonaguni situation. Some people will see "natural" and some will see "man-made."
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
oldarchystudent

Minimalist wrote:Even with a dive you'll probably still end up with a Yonaguni situation. Some people will see "natural" and some will see "man-made."
The image on this "looks" pretty regular, but I agree - there will be a lot of back and forth on this. A dive would seem to be in order.
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Let me get this straight. A private boat owner identifies an underwater feature in the Azores at a depth of 40 meters with his bathyscope five months ago. We don't know anything about him or the model of the bathyscope, but the rumor is that "the Portuguese navy is investigating".

Meanwhile ... nobody has dived on the site, but some people think "Atlantis" has been discovered. :roll:
oldarchystudent

...which is exactly why I was asking if there was any verification out there.
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

...which is exactly why I was asking if there was any verification out there.
Exactly. And the answer is "No".

However, I am heartened to read that Graham Hancock wants to scuba dive the site.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I still recall a program where Schoch dove at Yonaguni and came up saying it was "natural." Subsequent discussions though suggested that he had backpedaled a bit and regarded it as a natural formation that had been altered by humans.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

The resolution of that sonar rig turns every contour line into a straight line...reading contour lines was part of my profession for 25 years....I believe it is an artifact of the equipment and not physical reality.

Looking at the monitor does indicate that there is obviously a steep protrusion on floor bed..however not knowing the contour interval I cannot say how steep. that there are sharp corners on the protrusion cannot be assumed due to the lack of resolution of the sonar. Notice how every change of direction in the contour lines is acute....not a curved line to be seen. Curved contour lines are the norm...straight and sharp angled ones are not. I am referring to the surrounding terrain not the object itself. Contour lines of a pyramid ..never seen such a thing. I would imagine it would look a lot like what has been pictured on that sonar monitor. But that could be an underwater hill top for the reason I stated earlier. I WANT TO BELIEVE....ha ha ha
Regards Ernie
Three Of Five

Post by Three Of Five »

Hi

It seems that the sonar has very low resolution so it shows a pyramid where there's no pyramid at all.
One easy way to get more information could be to scan the area traveling in several other directions, in this way you would get a more detailed scan of the area. Anyway, it's probably another submerged volcanic cone.
oldarchystudent

This all makes sense - thanks. I'll turn down the excitement-o-meter to "standby".
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

It is just a matter of money.
The current side scan sonar technology has enough resolution to see the twist on ropes at that depth.
And an ROV could provide video.
But someone has to pay the bill of getting an equipped ship out there for at least a week.
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Exactly, it would be a waste of money to investigate the site before a preliminary dive.
But someone has to pay the bill of getting an equipped ship out there for at least a week.
No need for a ship since the depth is 40 meters. Scuba dive the site with an underwater video cam. Out and back to port in a day.
Three Of Five

Post by Three Of Five »

Cognito wrote:
Exactly, it would be a waste of money to investigate the site before a preliminary dive.
No need for a ship since the depth is 40 meters. Scuba dive the site with an underwater video cam. Out and back to port in a day.
Don't know if scuba diving is so easy, it' s the middle of Atlantic....
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Don't know if scuba diving is so easy, it' s the middle of Atlantic....
The site is between two islands in the Azores chain, 120 feet below sea level. It would be a relatively easy, standard dive for anyone with scuba experience ... off the deck of a pleasure boat. Port facilities and scuba equipment (air, tri-mix, etc.) are nearby.