Lake Baikal Skeleton and Ancient Americans

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Tiompan

Re: Lake Baikal Skeleton and Ancient Americans

Post by Tiompan »

uniface wrote:Having said my piece, I retire from the field.

Retiring from the field , like your piece , does nothing to address the problems of the Eliadean legacy .
uniface

Post by uniface »

I never implied that it would. But it isn't my job to :lol:
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

uniface wrote:I never implied that it would. But it isn't my job to
Of course you didn't imply it , it's an impossible task . That's why there is no response to the problems .
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

Paper published 11/20/13 in online journal Nature:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/va ... 12736.html

Another article, with extracted quote:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/two-s ... ria-449216

""The study was put on low speed for about a year because I thought it was all contamination," Willerslev said.

His team proceeded anyway to analyze the nuclear genome, which contains the major part of human inheritance. They were amazed when the nuclear genome also turned out to have partly European ancestry. Examining the genome from a second Siberian grave site, that of an adult who died some 17,000 years ago, they found the same markers of European origin. Together, the two genomes indicate that descendants of the modern humans who entered Europe had spread much farther east across Eurasia than had previously been assumed and occupied Siberia during an extremely cold period starting 20,000 years ago that is known as the Last Glacial Maximum.

The other surprise from the Mal'ta boy's genome was that it matched to both Europeans and Native Americans but not to East Asians. Willerslev's interpretation was that the ancestors of Native Americans had already separated from the East Asian population when they interbred with the people of the Mal'ta culture, and that this admixed population then crossed over the Beringian land bridge that then lay between Siberia and Alaska to become a founding population of Native Americans.

"We estimate that 14 to 38 percent of Native American ancestry may originate through gene flow from this ancient population," he and colleagues wrote in an article published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

A European contribution to Native American ancestry could explain two longstanding puzzles about the people's origins. One is that many ancient Native American skulls, including that of the well-known Kennewick man, look very different from those of the present-day population. Another is that one of the five mitochondrial DNA lineages found in Native Americans, the lineage known as X, also occurs in Europeans. One explanation is that Europeans managed to cross the Atlantic in small boats some 20,000 years ago and joined the Native Americans from Siberia.

Willerslev thinks it more likely that European bearers of the X lineage had migrated across Siberia with the ancestors of the Mal'ta culture and joined them in their trek across the Beringian land bridge."
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

Another good read on this study:

http://rt.com/news/archaeological-siber ... opean-069/

"
Willersley set about extracting mitochondrial DNA from the boy’s arm, but was underwhelmed when it turned out to belong to the U lineage – which means modern Europeans who settled on the continent over 44,000 years ago. The lineages common to Native Americans are A, B, C, D and X.

But having analyzed the so-called nuclear genome, which carries more evidence of our ancestry, he told AFP that "the result came as a complete surprise to us."

Firstly, the boy was from all over Europe: the two examined genomes show that modern Europeans had traveled much father into Eurasia than we had previously assumed.

Kelly Graf, an assistant professor at the Center for the Study of First Americans and Department of Anthropology at Texas A&M, who helped Willersley in his research, told Science Daily that the find “shows he had close genetic ties to today's Native Americans and some western Eurasians… Also, he shared close genetic ties with other Ice-Age western Eurasians living in European Russia, Czech Republic and even Germany. We think these Ice-Age people were quite mobile and capable of maintaining a far-reaching gene pool that extended from central Siberia all the way west to central Europe."

Secondly, the Native American connection was finally found.

"Our study proves that Native Americans’ ancestors migrated to the Americas from Siberia and not directly from Europe as some have recently suggested," Graf said. This sort of intricate and complete DNA mapping of a human is the oldest of its kind ever performed.

However, given the boy’s European-Native-American mix, it was strange that the boy had no connection to modern East Asians. This has led Willersley and his team to suppose that the ancient Native Americans had already broken off ties with the East Asians before interbreeding with the Mal’ta people, to whom the boy belongs.

This population must then have traveled over the frozen Beringian land bridge that used to be between Siberia and Alaska. This consequently resulted in the creation of the modern Native Americans."
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

And more on the Siberian site itself:

http://archaeology.about.com/od/upperpa ... Russia.htm
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Cognito wrote:
My grandmother could have assassinated President Kennedy.
I have it on good authority that Uniface's grandmother WAS ON THE GRASSY KNOLL when President Kennedy was assassinated! :shock:

Sources: National Enquirer article and X-Files random comment.
Write a book on it, and sell it through Adventures Unlimited Press.
Just don't mention any living persons, as they have been sued before for that.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Since I've already set out my current thinking on the migrations and mt DNA haplogroups here, with dating, am not going to type it again.

You can find it by searching here.

I hope to include it the second edition of "Man and Impact in the Americas".

I do not intend to discuss psychoactive drug use nor methods of ethnography or protohistorical work either with all of you right now.

I will state that ethnographic fieldwork does in fact exist as a discipline, and has for several centuries.
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

E.P. Grondine wrote:Since I've already set out my current......................................

I will state that ethnographic fieldwork does in fact exist as a discipline, and has for several centuries.
"Yabena, Yanow, Wels, and Kamsteeg (2010) examined the ontological and epistemological presuppositions underlying ethnography. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnography
I have no idea what that sentence means..but damn I love reading it out loud.
Regards Ernie
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

The ancestry of the Lake Baikal child is also reflected in this most recent European DNA study:

http://www.nature.com/news/ancient-euro ... ref-link-1