The Beringia Standstill Theory

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

The Beringia Standstill Theory

Post by Minimalist »

A new wrinkle is added.

http://www.livescience.com/43726-bering ... lived.html
The ancestors of Native Americans may have lived on and around the Bering Strait for about 10,000 years before streaming into the Americas, researchers argue.

In the new Perspectives article, published today (Feb. 27) in the journal Science, the researchers compile existing data to support the idea, known as the Beringia standstill hypothesis.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Re: The Beringia Standstill Theory

Post by Cognito »

I'm finding it difficult to understand why people would permanently settle in Beringia during the entire course of the Last Glacial Maximum without searching for warmer climes. Being in Alaska during the winter is not easy, even in this "warm" interglacial (aka Holocene). This makes no sense.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hell, Cogs. I've never figured out why people would deliberately head NORTH during an ice age to begin with. Seems counter-intuitive.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
dirtscratcher

Post by dirtscratcher »

Seems like a real stretch to me that because there were insects and plants, there must have been people.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I, also, have my doubts.

But if that current was strong enough and warm enough, maybe.
How big, and how warm was its source?

We do have the present day Gulf Stream that warms the UK and Europe to the point that there are palm trees growing on the southernmost beaches if the Isles.
That shows just how much heat an ocean current can carry.

But, as I always ask, why only one route?

If the water was warm enough in the purposed current to still be warm that far north then there would be a corresponding clockwise current in the Southern Hemisphere.
And with a common source, it would be just as warm and inviting to a water comfortable populace.
hardaker

Post by hardaker »

ahem --- even in light of Arlington Woman, ca. 13ky, absolutely no mention of boats attend this thesis. nope, just stuck in place for ten thousand years. have there been any actual core samples with cultural middens that suggest any evidence supporting this presence or is this just another looney tunes thought experiment? Amazing something like this gets into Science.
Chris Hardaker
The First American: The Suppressed Story of the People Who Discovered the New World [ https://www.amazon.com/First-American-S ... 1564149420 ]
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Thanks for the breath of reason, Chris.

-- George Carlin