Help writing a story

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Strata

Help writing a story

Post by Strata »

Hi I was not really sure where to post this. I'm looking to write a fictional story focusing on four college students who are majoring in archaeology and I was hoping perhaps I can gather information from other users on this forum. Can anyone please tell me what is involved in organizing an expedition or at least direct me to a site that provides this information?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Help writing a story

Post by Minimalist »

That's a very interesting question. You might get some ideas from this.

http://www.archaeological.org/fieldwork/preparing

Of course things are changing rapidly in the field. The use of satellite imagery and ground penetrating radar takes a great deal of the guesswork about choosing a spot.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Geophys should be the first ones in...after an area is chosen. Takes out a lot of the guess work.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

*Spoiler*

Write about what is familiar to you...

It makes for a better story...
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Strata

Post by Strata »

circumspice wrote:*Spoiler*

Write about what is familiar to you...

It makes for a better story...
Well I already have a lot of the characters planned out and I at least have a vague idea about what direction I want this story to take, I just need to do a lot more research. I do plan on taking some creative liberties and possibly make up some fake locations. If I can I really want to see all of these ideas through and be able to shape them into the story that I want.