The Search for Mabila, Winter 2014

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

Re: The Search for Mabila, Winter 2014

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Correction
Re: Lake Tani

Swanton asserted that the Taensas were located at Lake Saint Joseph, but there has been no archaeological confirmation of his identification.

I believe that it is far more likely that the Taensas were earlier located at an oxbow lake across from Greenville, MS.

While most people are reluctant to give up the Parkins site as a location along the Entrada's route, unless more artifacts or a construction are found, it looks to me like it was a peripheral site.

The main problems are locating Autiamque and Quiquilann.
uniface

Post by uniface »

Hope you can ID them.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

uniface wrote:Hope you can ID them.
I hope so too.

Right now the problem for me are identifying the salt lick along the Mississippi River, and tracing DeSoto's route through Missouri,
and determining if DeSoto met with the Big Osage or Little Osage,
and locating the ox bow on the Mississippi where the Taensa were living at the time.

My apologies to the folks in Memphis and at Parkins,
but DeSoto crossed the Mississippi River near Mound City, Illinois,
and not at Memphis.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Correcting an earlier post here,
the port on the cost of Texas where Cabeza de Vaca saw gold, silver and cloth
was likely to have been Haustecan,
and not Totonac.

While the Totonac had an early trade station near Port Arthur, across from Galveston,
this appears to have been destroyed by a massive hurricane.
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalopin

Post by Kalopin »

="E.P. Grondine"
DeSoto crossed the Mississippi River near Mound City, Illinois,
and not at Memphis.
[E.P. you know I hate to be a bother, but...]

here is the DeSoto expedition's path after he died-
http://www.floridahistory.com/arkansab.html
so I believe you may be partially correct? DeSoto crossed the Mississippi at Memphis, died on May 21, 1542 at Guachoya [Arkansas] . This left his field commander in charge, Luis de Moscoso Alvarado and he then crossed the Mississippi a couple/few more times.
so actually DeSoto was already dead and Moscoso led the expedition the rest of the way, eventually to Veracruz, Mexico in 1543 -
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... ississippi
[just to be more specific?]

[...because I know how badly you want to get this right- so correct me if I am wrong, is this what the accounts say? although, I have found, sometimes the accounts are mistaken!]
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Kalopin wrote: [E.P. you know I hate to be a bother, but...]
For some reasons doubt that, Tony. :twisted:
Kalopin wrote: here is the DeSoto expedition's path after he died-
http://www.floridahistory.com/arkansab.html
Shepard's reconstruction to Vincennes,Indiana is a nice start, but from there...
Kalopin wrote: DeSoto crossed the Mississippi at Memphis, died on May 21, 1542 at Guachoya [Arkansas] .
Wrong and Wrong
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DeSoto first crossed the Mississippi River near Mound City, Illinois.
Guachoya (Yazoo) was Vicksburg.
Josip199

Post by Josip199 »

Westminster Abbey, the traditional place of coronation and burial for English monarchs, is one of the most popular historic sites in England. During a recent excavation in the great Abbey, some fifty skeletons were uncovered from the 11 th and 12 th century crammed together beneath a lavatory block. The discovery may provide experts with an insight into the history of medieval England and especially the late Anglo-Saxon and the early Norman periods.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Josip199 wrote:Westminster Abbey, the traditional place of coronation and burial for English monarchs, is one of the most popular historic sites in England. During a recent excavation in the great Abbey, some fifty skeletons were uncovered from the 11 th and 12 th century crammed together beneath a lavatory block. The discovery may provide experts with an insight into the history of medieval England and especially the late Anglo-Saxon and the early Norman periods.

What in the hell has Westminster Abbey got to do with a New World topic about reconstructing Desoto's exploratory journeys?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope