Languages

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

uniface

Languages

Post by uniface »

You should read this, IMO. When you do, mentally compare & contrast the objective of the Language Police among us : eliminating knowledge by eliminating words -- the linguistic containers that hold and transmit it.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014060 ... -languages
kbs2244

Re: Languages

Post by kbs2244 »

A classic case of “The Greeks had a word for it.”
And why there is a “Classical” and a “Common” Greek.
Common being spoken and Classical being written.

This concept, right or wrong, would make Daniel Webster, the creator of the concept of ”correct” spelling and it’s logical extension of, “if you can’t spell it, isn’t a word,” the greatest villain in the history of the English, or any, language.
And the same moaning of some Greeks over the "currupting" of their languge.

I still suffer under the philosophy of “phonetic spelling” of English I learned in 2nd grade.
English is a languge of "excptions!"
When I read those “Old English” texts I have to read them out loud to get the meaning.
And it seems natural when I do.

What this whole thing ignores is the idea of, if there is a need for it, the “predominate” language will adopt the “local” word for something.
English is a huge adaptor of “borrowed” words.
(Many of witch would put poor Daniel spinning in his grave due to ignoring his “rules of pronunciation.”)
For example, how do you pronounce “Baton Rouge” or “Des Plaines” (The town I grew up in as a WASP)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I don't know how worked up I can get over this issue. It seems as if there are far larger problems in the world than linguistic Darwinism.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote:I don't know how worked up I can get over this issue. It seems as if there are far larger problems in the world than linguistic Darwinism.

Hear, Hear!
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
uniface

Post by uniface »

Wrong word. Consequently, wrong idea. Consequently, incomprehension.

The term you're looking for is Bolshevism.

aka "Newspeak" (Orwell). :D

(It's fo' de Chilluns !)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

A classic case of “The Greeks had a word for it.”
The thing is, the Greeks still have a word for it and apparently no one gives a rat's ass if the Hopi do or not.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Neat stuff, Lil. 8)