93 Miles long and 3 feet high?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

93 Miles long and 3 feet high?

Post by Minimalist »

Ancient 150-km-long wall in Jordan puzzles archaeologists
http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot. ... tC76ebQNQF
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Re: 93 Miles long and 3 feet high?

Post by Sam Salmon »

For a clue look @ who those people were-pastoralists - those who's lives revolve around herding animals.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yes, but that would be one big corral, Sam.

Maybe it was an early WPA project?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Minimalist wrote:Yes, but that would be one big corral...
Not a corral but a fence to stop semi domesticated herds from wandering in the 'wrong' direction.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Could be but it seems like that should be the herder's job. That just seems like a tremendous undertaking to keep sheep from shitting on the wrong side of a border.

-- George Carlin
Springhead

Post by Springhead »

From a layman's perch I would question the effectiveness of a three foot tall barrier keeping in almost any domestic animal. I would look toward a long standing boundary that was important but would allow animals to cross it as needed. Maybe some type of spiritual designation?
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

More likely either a territorial designation or maybe something to cause a herd of animals to change their direction of travel while fleeing humans who hunt them... Sort of a crude, one sided chute to direct animals toward hidden hunters???
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Lots of clans/tribes put up markers...almost totems, if you would to denote their territory. Building a continuous wall seems like a lot of work.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Springhead wrote:From a layman's perch I would question the effectiveness of a three foot tall barrier keeping in almost any domestic animal.
Sheep in particular were a lot smaller back then.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There's probably a great joke there, Sam, but I'm going to let it slide.

-- George Carlin