The Religion of "Science"

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

uniface

The Religion of "Science"

Post by uniface »

This is not the shortest or easiest read of the week, but it will be one of the most interesting and thought-provoking ones of the year.
I studied anthropology in college, and one of the things I learned was that certain human social
structures always reappear. They can’t be eliminated from society. One of those structures is
religion. Today it is said we live in a secular society in which many people— the best people, the
most enlightened people— do not believe in any religion. But I think that you cannot eliminate
religion from the psyche of mankind. If you suppress it in one form, it merely re-emerges in
another form. Even if you don’t believe in any God, you still have to believe in something that
gives meaning to your life, and shapes your sense of the world. Such a belief is religious.
Today, one of the most powerful religions in the Western World is environmentalism.

Environmentalism seems to be the religion of choice for urban atheists. Why do I say it’s a
religion? Well, if you look carefully at the core beliefs, you will see that environmentalism is in fact
a perfect 21st century remapping of traditional Judeo-Christian beliefs and myths. There’s an
initial Eden, a paradise, a state of grace and unity with nature, there’s a fall from grace into a
state of pollution as a result of eating from the tree of knowledge, and as a result of our actions
there is a judgment day coming for us all. We are all energy sinners, doomed to die, unless we
seek salvation, which is now called sustainability. Sustainability is salvation in the church of the
environment, just as organic food is its communion— that pesticide-free wafer . . .
http://mileswmathis.com/crichton2.pdf
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: The Religion of "Science"

Post by Minimalist »

Please tell us more, uni.

https://milespantloadmathis.wordpress.c ... -theories/
Conspiracy Theories
Posted on May 6, 2013

Abstract: When Mathis isn’t busy writing pseudoscience articles, he’s usually hard at work concocting far-fetched conspiracies. Here is a sample of his disturbed thinking:

The Boston Marathon
“The good thing about these recent events is that they are so poorly faked that a lot of people are catching on. If they can keep us talking about three fake people who were fake-killed in Boston or the 27 people who were fake-killed in Sandy Hook, they can keep our eyes off the real tragedies.”
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Whenever someone is presenting information that's too unsettling to ignore, some True Believer starts a smear site like the one you referenced. In which thousands of pertinent facts are simply ignored and reviling insults serve as "rebuttals." Since these advance the cause of orthodox Groupthink, hundreds of other Goodthinking sites link to it, and there it is on top of the google rankings. Suggesting it's important. Or something.

If calumny and insult don't make it for you as overview summations of what someone is saying, you'd be well advised to simply read some of what he's written and judge for yourself. (I know -- pretty radical idea).

Here are three I found especially interesting (I don't have the chops in physics & calculus to follow his mathematical stuff). His cultural history is dead on.

http://mileswmathis.com/lindy.pdf
http://mileswmathis.com/dresden.pdf
http://mileswmathis.com/custer.pdf
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

uniface wrote:Whenever someone is presenting information that's too unsettling to ignore, some True Believer starts a smear site like the one you referenced. In which thousands of pertinent facts are simply ignored and reviling insults serve as "rebuttals." Since these advance the cause of orthodox Groupthink, hundreds of other Goodthinking sites link to it, and there it is on top of the google rankings. Suggesting it's important. Or something.

If calumny and insult don't make it for you as overview summations of what someone is saying, you'd be well advised to simply read some of what he's written and judge for yourself. (I know -- pretty radical idea).

Here are three I found especially interesting (I don't have the chops in physics & calculus to follow his mathematical stuff). His cultural history is dead on.

http://mileswmathis.com/lindy.pdf
http://mileswmathis.com/dresden.pdf
http://mileswmathis.com/custer.pdf
From the first link :“As I always do, I will use Wikipedia as my main source, linking out from there to include many other sources and photos.”

Recently you had said . “One Last Time: Wikipedia is organized fraud. Wikipedia is not a reliable source for academic research. “

Not that Mathis is academic , but there is a an obvious dissonance here .
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

:lol:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
uniface

Post by uniface »

So then. Having read enough of him to form an opinion, do you find the smear site summary of him you posted to have been called-for ?

And seeing as he footnotes things almost to a fault and clearly demonstrates top-shelf, academic, competent analysis, was your blowoff line warranted ?
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

uniface wrote:So then. Having read enough of him to form an opinion, do you find the smear site summary of him you posted to have been called-for ?

And seeing as he footnotes things almost to a fault and clearly demonstrates top-shelf, academic, competent analysis, was your blowoff line warranted ?

You evaded the dissonace issue , entirely .
Which is it , Miles or Wiki , it's your call/dilemna , whichever you choose , you lose , but one answer is is a much greater loss than the other .

The vast number of errors he has made and the nonsense that he writes puts him beyond being smeared .
Do you believe he is serious ?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Whenever someone is presenting information that's too unsettling to ignore, some True Believer starts a smear site like the one you referenced.

When you constantly trot out information from sources who seem to get their inspiration from the Tin Foil enveloping their head you should expect it. You know, I don't do this with everybody but you have such an appalling track record of citing maniacs as your sources that it has become an immediate reaction. You have brought it on yourself.

So, do you agree with him that Sandy Hook is a "government conspiracy?"
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Minimalist wrote:When you constantly trot out information from sources who seem to get their inspiration from the Tin Foil enveloping their head you should expect it.....you have such an appalling track record of citing maniacs as your sources that it has become an immediate reaction. You have brought it on yourself.
^ this.
uniface

Post by uniface »

Translation : we have not read any of his articles and have no intention of doing so.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

uniface wrote:Translation : we have not read any of his articles and have no intention of doing so.

Obviously wrong ,how do you imagine that the dissonance re. Wiki was noted .?
The one you continually evade .

How do you think the errors are discovered without someone having to wade through the rubbish to discover them ?
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

So...

Lindy was a 'secret Jew'...

Dresden was never bombed...

and... the piece de resistance...

Custer was a spook before, during & after the Civil War...

Is that what you're saying uni?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Your problem is that anytime you see something in print you assume it is true. No wonder you're a xtian.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Circ : Forget what "everybody says."

Read the articles. All the way through. Consider the evidence he provides and the connections he makes.

Then decide for yourself.