Mound 1

Have you been to great ancient site? Show us here and tell us about your experience!

To that end, Photobucket.com has a new feature called the "Bulk Uploader" which allows you to go through an entire directory and select which photos you wish to upload by thumbnail instead of having to individually select them. It makes the process infinitely faster and simpler.

(And Photobucket is a free service.)

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Springhead

Mound 1

Post by Springhead »

[imgImage][/img]
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Mound 1

Post by Minimalist »

I count as least 8 structures which could be classed as "mounds."

Which one is #1?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Springhead

Post by Springhead »

[imgImage][/img]The possible mound is the green "footprint," square in shape, in the foreground of the image on the ridge top open area. The image shows a smaller round, less green area in the center of the footprint. This is one of many possible mounds found in my neighborhood in the western Virginia Blue Ridge and nearby Shenandoah Valley. This mound is associated with a possible terrace complex nearby. Often the only evidence left on the ground of these possible mounds is this "shadow" that has no elevation left to it. Others still show some height. The above image is of one such possible mound in the Shenandoah Valley area of Western Virginia.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

Springhead ,

what is the significance of the feature ? Could you provide the co -ordinates for the site please ?
Springhead

Post by Springhead »

Hi Tiompan,

At this time I do not want to publicize the coordinates of the possible Mound 1 as I am pretty sure it is unknown and on private property. The subsequent image of a possible mound is in the Shenandoah Valley:37 56' 58.92" N
79 19' 16.15 W

This possible mound is on private property as well, but I believe is known about. Several years ago I looked around the neighborhood of my mountain site to identify possible mound sites and found many candidates. I am aware these simply look like they could be mounds and there may be a myriad of explanations as to what they actually are. There are confirmed mound sites that have been studied in the area that are presently attributed to the Monacan Indians. One such mound is the Walker Creek site which was excavated in the early 1900's and was determined to be a burial mound. This image (subsequent) location is not very far from the Walker's Creek mound.

I do not know the significance of the site represented in the subsequent image, but I think there is a fair chance that it is a mound.