Andrew Collins on Gobekli Tepe sister site

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Re: Andrew Collins on Gobekli Tepe sister site

Post by kbs2244 »

"I'm fascinated by that time honored debate to some extent, but my focus has always been on the origin of this tradition among the hierarchies of angels. Who was the first angel, or archangel perhaps, to dance upon the head of a pin? And why I wonder, when there are far broader dance floor surfaces to choose from, would the heads of pins become the default choice among our heavenly kin?"

I think you are missing the point

But I am going back to the bench and watch the game.
It has gotten beyond my skill level.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

kbs2244 wrote:"I'm fascinated by that time honored debate to some extent, but my focus has always been on the origin of this tradition among the hierarchies of angels. Who was the first angel, or archangel perhaps, to dance upon the head of a pin? And why I wonder, when there are far broader dance floor surfaces to choose from, would the heads of pins become the default choice among our heavenly kin?"

Very sharp
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

"Nothing compared to what we are seeing now ."
Obviously refers to those who are reading the posts i.e .plural , simple syntax .Same mistake was made previously .
Or did you think I was the only one who read it/them ? Pathetic .

Why can't you provide quotes where I said something wrong about comets or geology ?

What have memories of Thom and Aveni got to do with providing something to support your comments ?
"Thom was a excellent surveyor and engineer but wildly over interpreted his "findings" ."

Remember this one "by the way, the Thom's hypothesis about the henges is now established doctrine",
BTW ,you never managed to provide anything about the hypothesis , despite being asked quite a few times .
Dunno how an non -existent hypothesis can become "established doctrine " so it goes without saying you can't provide anything on that either .
There are some cases of of possible alignments associated with henges but most are to be expected by chance , given how the orientations are in all compass directions with no preference for anything that fits into the Thom paradigm orientations .The orientations include pointing to areas of the horizon where the sun or moon is never seen to rise or set .
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.pr ... -1.5973328

The image looks philistine to me, but then I am no expert on this area.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Not only do the henges have astronomical alignments, the sky is blue as well.
I suspected that Thom's "Ley lines" were line of sight methods of transmitting information on astronomical alignments across the landscape using fire at night.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

kbs2244 wrote:"I'm fascinated by that time honored debate to some extent, but my focus has always been on the origin of this tradition among the hierarchies of angels. Who was the first angel, or archangel perhaps, to dance upon the head of a pin? And why I wonder, when there are far broader dance floor surfaces to choose from, would the heads of pins become the default choice among our heavenly kin?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_ ... f_a_pin%3F
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

circumspice wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_ ... f_a_pin%3F
Well, now this feels like the moment I realized there was no Santa Claus....
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

"Ley lines " were associated with Alfred Watkins , and later John Michell .Paul Deveraux etc.
Thom would have been offended by any suggestion of an association with such nonsense .

Given that the entrances /causeways are clearly oriented, there is great scope for playing about with "alignments " at henges , but sadly the majority do not have astronomical alignments , even putative ones .
They are aligned to all points of the compass with no clusters at any of the Thom paradigm orientations .

Still waiting for your evidence to support "by the way, the Thom's hypothesis about the henges is now established doctrine" .
You might imagine that if it wasn't a figment of your imagination you would be able to quote the relevant paper/book that established the "doctrine" .
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Nice ways of testing Gobekli Tepe vessels:

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/51/17593
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Fire, climate and the origins of agriculture: Micro-charcoal records of biomass burning during the last glacial-interglacial transition in Southwest Asia

full paper from 2009 at:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ing_during

Josip199

Post by Josip199 »

Really exciting stuff, E.P. Thanks for sharing!
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Good collection of experts to back you up.