Pompeii's Grand Baths Unearthed

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Pompeii's Grand Baths Unearthed

Post by Minimalist »

Under construction at the time of the eruption.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/pompei ... n-tragedy/
Pompeii’s grand baths unveiled, with hidden tragedy
Magnificent thermal baths designed to be the jewel of Pompeii but destroyed by a volcanic eruption before they could be completed opened to visitors for the first time on Monday after a painstaking excavation.

Marble pillars and blocks lie where they were abandoned when the city was submerged by a pyroclastic flow from Mount Vesuvius in the 79 AD disaster.

But excavators also found a victim of the disaster, the skeleton of a child who had sought shelter there in vain.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Pompeii's Grand Baths Unearthed

Post by Minimalist »

Great work, boys.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/pompei ... treasures/
Pompeii restoration unearths ‘surprise’ treasures
Vivid frescoes and never-before-seen inscriptions were among the treasures unearthed in a massive years-long restoration of the world-famous archeological site Pompeii that came to a close Tuesday.

The painstaking project saw an army of workers reinforce walls, repair collapsing structures and excavate untouched areas of the sprawling site, Italy’s second most visited tourist destination after Rome’s Colosseum.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Certainly a wonderful discovery.

The apparent fact that the bathwater was not changed and visitors with weeping sores etc were allowed in makes one think they were better as spectacle than therapy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

People were generally dead by the time they were 25 anyway. I guess no one noticed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

That's an average figure Romans could live for quite some time

I think they drew the line at leaving bodies in the baths
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah....I imagine that in the midst of an eruption some of the social niceties got overlooked.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

And some of the unniceties - wasn't a horde of jewellery found in a foodstall (presumed - there is no evidence for any type of fire) thought to have been looted from a house the owners had fled from?

More wierd is the magnificent amber necklace found in sewer drain - again presumed to have been thrown there by a thief.