They Gave Their Lives For Tourism.

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

They Gave Their Lives For Tourism.

Post by Minimalist »

To steal Steve Martin's line from "King Tut."

https://www.rawstory.com/march-of-the-m ... hs-parade/

March of the Mummies: Egypt readies for Pharaohs' Parade

The mummified remains of 22 ancient Egyptian kings and queens will be paraded through the streets of Cairo Saturday, in an eye-catching royal procession to a new resting place.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Re: They Gave Their Lives For Tourism.

Post by Simon21 »

Maybe they can do something for the impoverished Egyptian people, as they never did during life.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

And so they go.

https://www.rawstory.com/egypt-parades- ... s-streets/

Egypt is seeking to revive its battered tourism industry, a main source of national income.

The industry has been hit by unrest since the 2011 uprising against long-time ruler Hosny Mubarak as well as the global pandemic.

It would probably help that goal along if the Islamic Brotherhood stopped shooting up tourist buses.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Hmmm that wouldn't be when ordinary Egyptians attacked the fanatics with their bare hands and saved several valuable white lives at a cost to their own.

In stark contrast to the US/Russian armed and paid for brave Egyptian military (free and violent virginity tests for all female suspects) who turned up after the terrorists fled, gave no help to the civilian wounded and were overheard asking superior officers whether they should "just shoot a couple of civilians to claim a body count."

When the Egyptians are eventually allowed to rule themselves there is going to be a lot of score settling and who the fuck can blame them.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You mean like this? This popped up #1 on a search.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48328793

Egypt explosion: Tourists on bus injured near Giza pyramids

19 May 2019
Egyptian officials hurried to confirm everything is under control. No life-threatening injuries, all the wounded in a stable condition, and no damage caused to the strategic tourist site. They wanted to send a clear message of assurance.

But it's the second explosion in nearly six months near Egypt's most important landmark, the Great Pyramids, and once again questions are raised about how adequate security measures are in such a strategic location.

The blast took place a few hundred metres away from the Grand Egyptian Museum, due to open next year. Officials confirm no damage was caused to the museum, expected to house the country's top antiquities.

It's enough to keep me out of Egypt.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

When you overthrow a democratically elected government, kill thousands, institute a regime of state torture and murder (young women a speciality) on a regular basis with the West winking all the while and pouring in subsidies, this is the sort of thing that is likely to happen.

I wouldn't visit Sisi's foul little feudal blister anymore than I would visit Saudi or Israel.