Ancient Egypt

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Juliaart

Ancient Egypt

Post by Juliaart »

New Study on Pharaoh’s Mummy Figurines give more information about the Understudied Ancient Egyptian Period :o https://usaartnews.com/news/new-study-o ... ian-period
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Ancient Egypt

Post by Minimalist »

Interesting post. Thanks for adding it.

>Mod note: I moved it to the Old World Forum to be with the rest of the Egyptian Threads.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

I note below the piece there is an article saying in Ancient Egypt beer was used in mourning rituals. I have used beer in mourning rituals, and for others
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Sunken Ancient City Found in Egypt.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/thon ... index.html
Ancient 'sunken city' discovered in Egypt

Divers have discovered rare remains of a military vessel in the ancient sunken city of Thônis-Heracleion -- once Egypt's largest port on the Mediterranean -- and a funerary complex illustrating the presence of Greek merchants, the country said on Monday, July 19.
The city, which controlled the entrance to Egypt at the mouth of a western branch of the Nile, dominated the area for centuries before the foundation of Alexandria nearby by Alexander the Great in 331 BC.
Destroyed and sunk along with a wide area of the Nile delta by several earthquakes and tidal waves, Thônis-Heracleion was rediscovered in 2001 in Abu Qir bay near Alexandria, now Egypt's second largest city.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

They say they have found a Greek Warship, but didn't the French fleet get sunk by Nelson at Abou Kir? Boy stood on the burning deck etc. Must be full of wrecks
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

As I recall most of the French ships lost at the Battle of the NIle were captured rather than sunk. I suspect that a trained archaeologist would be able to distinguish a 4 masted sailing ship from a trireme in fairly short order though. The iron cannons would be a dead giveaway!

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Presumably these would have looted by the British in such shallow water. Guns being valuable. But yes there must be a wealth of wrecks in this area
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Moving on - the tomb of a 5th century official - with a nice photo array.

https://www.archaeology.org/slideshow/9 ... airsu-tomb

-- George Carlin
indianjarch

Post by indianjarch »

deleted
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:36 pm Moving on - the tomb of a 5th century official - with a nice photo array.

https://www.archaeology.org/slideshow/9 ... airsu-tomb

I noticed that the publisher of that article got the era wrong... It wasn't 5th century, it was 5th Dynasty... roughly 2465-2325 BCE. That's something like 2000 years off the mark datewise.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That was actually my typo not the magazine's.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

House of Life sounds interesting.