Roman Baths Uncovered in Spain

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Roman Baths Uncovered in Spain

Post by Minimalist »

And no one knew they were there!
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/roma ... index.html

Ancient Roman bath complex discovered on beach in southern Spain

The researchers from the University of Cádiz (UCA) found well-preserved Roman baths with walls more than 13 feet high at the Caños de Meca beach in Spain's Andalusia region, the university said in a statement.
Only two rooms have been excavated so far, with most of the site remaining untouched. UCA said the site is estimated to spread over 2.5 acres.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Roman Baths Uncovered in Spain

Post by circumspice »

I wonder if the Roman salting pools were used for brining olives? Didn't they have extensive olive orchards in Spain? Or for that matter, all around the Mediterranean basin?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I think you're right. That "mountain" in Rome which is comprised of broken amphorae has been identified by archaeologists as having many from Spain. Unlike dry goods, amphorae used to transport olive oil could not be re-used so they ended up on the scrap heap. I actually saw a show on that hill one time.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Always alarming to learn there was no easy way to change the bathwater and apparently nothing to prevent those with open sores using the pools
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

They thought sickness was a punishment from the gods.

Before we get too high and mighty about how smart we all are, it would be wise to remember that there are still idiots today who think the same way!

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Not to mention communal sea sponges dipped in vinegar to wipe your ass... :shock:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

.... and THAT was a monumental improvement over what the rest of the world was doing.... and is still doing in many places!

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Particularly in the UK where nearly any secluded urban space serves as an informal lavatory and garbage tip.
fossillambs90

Post by fossillambs90 »

Sand Dunes Preserved These Roman Baths in Spain for Thousands of Years!!! These aren’t the only recent Roman-era discoveries in the region: Last July, authorities conducting a routine inspection of a frozen seafood vendor in the southern coastal town of Alicante discovered 13 Roman amphorae among the sellers’ wares, prompting an official investigation into their provenance. Per a statement from the Spanish Civil Guard, ancient Romans may have used these clay vessels to transport oil, wine or garum across the Mediterranean Sea.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Glad to learn seafood vendors are investigated in Spain. Not enough if my stomach is any judge.