Fragments of a liturgical comb found in Suffolk, UK

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

AleksCA

Fragments of a liturgical comb found in Suffolk, UK

Post by AleksCA »

Hello, I thought I'll share this exciting news from my company:

Two pieces of an intricately carved, double-sided ivory comb of 11th to 12th-century date were collected from one of the trenches at the community dig at Clare Castle in Suffolk.

The comb is made from African elephant ivory and would have had decorative panels to either side. One side panel depicts the hind legs of a beast that could be a griffin, set amidst foliage. The other side is decorated with a spectacular lion; one of a possible pair with the second now missing. The teeth and sides of the comb are absent. It appears that, at some point in its past, the object may have suffered lamination causing the teeth to fail and rather than discarding such a fine object, the teeth were neatly sawn away leaving the decorative panels to be reused.

It is highly likely that the comb from Clare is the first example of an ivory Byzantine comb to have been excavated this century!

You can read more and see photos at: https://cotswoldarchaeology.co.uk/fragm ... cavations/
(I hope it's allowed to share links?)
Archaeology news from England
https://cotswoldarchaeology.co.uk/news
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Fragments of a liturgical comb found in Suffolk, UK

Post by Minimalist »

Yes, links are allowed especially when they support the posting.
Welcome.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Re: Fragments of a liturgical comb found in Suffolk, UK

Post by Simon21 »

Fascinating. Elephant ivory, must have been worth a fortune.