You OK, Roy?

Here's where you get off topic and off center....Keep it nice, keep it clean, no sniping, no flaming. After that, anything goes.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Re: You OK, Roy?

Post by Digit »

Join the queue! We've all been asking that, including the local press.
There was a meeting before all this kicked off some years ago, which I attended.
The brains behind it is a countryman of yours by the name of Mann, big in waste/recycling etc.
According to him nobody else in Britain knows how to run an airport!
Most of the money was put by the EU central bank.
Originally it was a short WW2 fighter runway that was then used for missile development.
When I attended the meeting it soon became obvious, due to my aeronautical background, that he hadn't a clue! I pulled him up so many times that I was asked to appear on BBC Wales to help put the case against it. I said that there was no need as it would never be completed, 5 yrs on I have been proved correct.
From the south the extension has a steep drop down into the valley where I live, which is stupid as the ground to the north is flat!
The 1000s of jobs he promised have failed to mature, as I told him, and in fact there are now less staff there than before he took over.
The site is totally useless as as Cardiff or Haverford West airports are only a few minutes flight time away, but by road several hours. Makes no sense at all and has cost millions and is currently the centre of an inquiry.
Even the totally unnecessary approach roundabout was the subject of a legal dispute between contractors and the local planners!
Imagines this, large roundabout, a forest of tall lamp posts, no electrical supply!
I am not joking!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I was expecting a thatched roof.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

No thanks Min, I had one when I first got married. Nice to look at = equals high maintenance.
This place was made in Canada in 1938, then shipped over here and used as POW accomodation for Italian POWs at a nearby camp.
After WW2 the camp was used to house DPs.
The building was then dismantled and moved to its present site in 1952 as temporary accommodation for seasonal farm workers. In 1956 it was changed to permanent residency.
We bought it as a building site in 1999, then decided to simply upgrade and extend as needed.
It had stood empty for 4/5 yrs, no hot water, no cold water, no electricity as the incomer had fallen, just two electrical outlets. Drains broken and septic tank U/S.
But we did have a couple of nice apple trees and a spring that flooded everywhere after heavy rain!
Plus Bats, Mice, Rats, Moles, Voles, Badgers, Grey Squirrels, Toads and Foxes!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Sounds like the classic "handy-man's special!"

Fortunately. you being an engineer and everything.................
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Plus 20 years of labour as well Min.
Timber houses are not favoured in the UK min, God knows why not, but by rebuilding over the years we have been able to build to suit ourselves.
My wife has got fed up with the laundry machines in the kitchen so I'm in the throws of converting an extension into a utility room.
We have added a conservatory, a garden shed, a greenhouse, two largish workshops, a car port, a veranda at front and rear, garden gates, paths, drainage, a new kitchen, a second drive way, outside lighting, re-wired and re-plumbed, new doors and windows and central heating.
All the furniture is built in, including wardrobes, display cabinets and book cases, I even built our bed!
Plus hundreds of trees and shrubs.
The wife does the hard work of designing and leaves the easy part of making it all to me!

Roy.
Digit

Post by Digit »

When I'm not rebuilding the kitchen, bathroom etc Min, I manage a bit of woodwork for myself, well for the kids in this instance actually.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/cloc ... ght=clocks

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm impressed. I'm hard pressed to nail two boards together without hitting my thumb.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

That is literally a sore point Min as I've got a blood blister on one thumb from a hammer strike earlier today!Image

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:That is literally a sore point Min as I've got a blood blister on one thumb from a hammer strike earlier today!Image
God punishes immediately.

And I thought you were an engineer...
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rokcet Scientist

by Minimalist
I was expecting a thatched roof.
Digit wrote:No thanks Min, I had one when I first got married. Nice to look at = equals high maintenance.
...and high fire insurance premiums (5 times that of a 'normal' roof overhere)!
This place was made in Canada in 1938, then shipped over here and used as POW accomodation for Italian POWs at a nearby camp.
After WW2 the camp was used to house DPs.
Excuse me! "DPs"? Double penetrations...?
In Wales...?
The building was then dismantled and moved to its present site in 1952 as temporary accommodation for seasonal farm workers. In 1956 it was changed to permanent residency.
We bought it as a building site in 1999, then decided to simply upgrade and extend as needed.
It had stood empty for 4/5 yrs, no hot water, no cold water, no electricity as the incomer had fallen, just two electrical outlets. Drains broken and septic tank U/S.
But we did have a couple of nice apple trees and a spring that flooded everywhere after heavy rain!
Plus Bats, Mice, Rats, Moles, Voles, Badgers, Grey Squirrels, Toads and Foxes!
Pure paradise!
Digit

Post by Digit »

And I thought you were an engineer...
Woodworking hammer, doesn't count! :lol:

Yeah, fire premiums, think of number, add the size of your hat and multiply by your mother-in-law's age I reckon. Plus you don't get gutters on thatch, as you find out when trying to get your key into the front door lock on a wet night!

You're sex mad, DPs = Displaced Persons.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Digit wrote:That is literally a sore point Min as I've got a blood blister on one thumb from a hammer strike earlier today!Image

Roy.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Daughter - in - law has my camera, you sadistic swine!Image

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Daughter - in - law has my camera, you sadistic swine!Image
Get a new phone, with camera!
This is exactly the kind of situation they're good for.
Min loves his "DroidX" smartphone for shots like that! :D
And my sisters shoot their entire daily lives with iPhone 4s.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yeah RS, but I'm Mutt and Jeff remember.

Roy.