Norse on Baffin Island

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

Re: Norse on Baffin Island

Post by E.P. Grondine »

oldarchystudent wrote:Isn't this what Farley Mowatt (sometimes maligned as "Hardly Know-it") was talking about in either "West Viking" or "The Farfarers" many years ago?
One of Canada'a most popular authors as well.

As far as "Hardly Know-it", it comes with the territory, and his work was a whole lot better based than say Clive Cussler's. OA, the Templars and teen vampires (or teen werewolves) await you.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

kbs2244 wrote: What is the time frame for Farley Mowatt idea?
As I read it, hers is right around 1000 AD.
Yes. Mowat ran through the period of Norse Contact.

kbs2244 wrote: But copper would not be the only reason to be there.
The furs and ivory to be had would be reason enough.
Actually, NO copper. Let me repeat that again, IMO, NO copper.
Though feel free to look through those materials if you want to.

Its the furs, ivory, and raptors that would have been of value.
That is why I would attack this problem by going through Byzantine trade records, and Native American memories.

But right now all of this is just enjoyable winter conjecture for the snow bound of Minnesota and the western Provinces.
oldarchystudent

Post by oldarchystudent »

E.P. Grondine wrote:
oldarchystudent wrote:Isn't this what Farley Mowatt (sometimes maligned as "Hardly Know-it") was talking about in either "West Viking" or "The Farfarers" many years ago?
One of Canada'a most popular authors as well.
I read a few of his books when I was younger, but neither of these two.
As far as "Hardly Know-it", it comes with the territory, and his work was a whole lot better based than say Clive Cussler's.
If I remember correctly, it was Mowatt himself who said this in an interview I saw on CBC years ago, although I think he was quoting one of his detractors.
My karma ran over my dogma.