Off Topic

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

I don't have any turkey pics, but I hope you all eat way too much and fall asleep watching football or whatever you like to do after you stuff yourself. My "Thanksgiving" isn't until sunday. My parents are out of town until then and I usually go there. Today I'm at a friend's house and he's making chili. Kind of a tradition among us single guys to eat home made chili and watch the cowboys. Ya'll have a great day!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Jeez, I'm still stuffed. Still a little hung over, and still have company till Sunday. Everybody is awake now, and we''ll start all over again.

Hope you all had a good one. :D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://blogs.smh.com.au/newsblog/archiv ... 08342.html
Now the pair have set up a new movement: Global Orgasm for Peace.

The idea is as simple: ask millions of couples on the December 22 Solstice (the longest day in the southern hemisphere and the shortest in the north) to lie back and think of peace (not just England).

This will change "the energy field of the Earth through input of the largest possible surge of human energy".
I have no comment - except I think I'm busy that day. :?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"The orgasm gives out an incredible feeling of peace during it and after it," says Reffell. "Your mind is like a blank. It's like a meditative state."

Well....I wouldn't begrudge the time.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Minimalist wrote:
"The orgasm gives out an incredible feeling of peace during it and after it," says Reffell. "Your mind is like a blank. It's like a meditative state."

Well....I wouldn't begrudge the time.
In the interest of science I think it only fair that I partake in this fascinating experiment. Anybody who is unable to conduct their own research, please let me know before the date and I will endeavour to perform additional tests on your behalf.
stan

Post by stan »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Digit in the Guest Room:
I've just found this thread and perhaps you guys can explain something to me. As a retired engineer I have never been able to understand why anybody of sound mind could design such an apparently stupid container as an amphora. Am I missing something, apart from a few grey cells that is?
Forester replied that the tapered bottom was used to stick the amphora into the sand.

Min replied that the amphora could be stored in a more safe manner aboard ship.

And since the boss lady already said get out, I thought I better reply down here.

I've seen both replies before. What I have never seen but what has always made the most sense to me is that early wines had impurities/sediments that would settle and concentrate down in that point, making for a better taste. That's what I've always thought anyway.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

How come the "boss lady" didn't move the thread?

:shock:

Are there limits to her powers?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Wanna test that theory Min? 8) There is a limit to my time......
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Touchy.

-- George Carlin
stan

Post by stan »

A few more thoughts about amphorae.
Maybe the shape made them easier to stack aboard ships.
Their size made them easy to load and unload.
I believe they were used for storing and transporting other cargo besides wine.

I can see why someone would question the shape, though.
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

The amphorae fit perfectly in wooden racks, not only for shipping but storage. It is much easier to make a round pot than a square one, or even a round one with a square base. Not to mention making the jug watertight. :shock: It boggles the mind, believe me. Also I have found amphorae much easier to pour out of than other shapes. You have more control of the vessel.
Just my two cents worth.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphora

When in doubt - Google.

Hi Starflower :D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://physorg.com/news84029857.html

The Little Ice Age In Europe was caused by a slowdown of the Gulf stream waters. Evidence of that has finally been found.

The evidence comes from sediment cores from the region where the Gulf Stream enters the North Atlantic Ocean, called the Florida Straits
There was no huge influx of fresh water into the Gulf stream that I know of at that time. :?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Maybe that is why it was only a "little" Ice Age?

-- George Carlin