Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

See? You CAN have fun with archaeology!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The main point still remains: can you *imagine* any male leader having the moral authority to make such an offer?

Muslim preachers routinely promise 72 virgins. Are we going to quibble over 28 virgins?
Morgana

Post by Morgana »

No comment on the rest of this thread but a few points on the horses. I have been riding since I was 9, I raise and train horses. I could not see the picture of the type of horse. I can tell you that a 13.2 hand horse (a hand is 4 inches) can carry a large man. Just take a look at what the vikings and the spanish conquistadors rode. I have 4 two year olds right now that are from 13.2 to 14 hands tall and I ride them quite easily. I can also tell you that the sharp backbone has absoltuely nothing to do with the genes in the horse. It is a conditioning issue. A well fed horse of any breed or type that has gotten plenty of free time and exercise since it is born will have a flat back. The width of the back is what is determined by the genes and a narrow back brings on more of a ballance issue than anything. A protruding backbone is a sign of ill health. Again, I couldn't see the pic but you can't just tell by a piece of art what the entire horse population would have been like. A narrow back seems to just be an easier way to sculpt a horse judging by some modern model horses. Now if most of the horses were like that it might have been hard on the men (Xenophon liked the flat backs best.) , but my observation has been that many of the cultures that rode saddleless developed a style of sitting much different from modern equestrians. They used a toe down, flexed kneed posture and kept most of their weight in their knees. I have tried this posture and found it quite effective for speed, saddled or not. Last thing you want to do is sit with your butt down on the back of a galloping horse.

To add a clarification for anyone who is not familiar with horses. A horse is measured at the highest point of the spine, at what is called the withers, just above the shoulder. A hand is 4 inches so a 13 h horse would be 52 inches tall at the withers. A 13.1 h horse is 53 inches, 13.2 h is 54 in., 13.3 is 55 inches, and 14 h is 56 inches. A horses capacity to cary weight is determined by it's weight, lenght of back, and general soundness. Here are two breeds known for their weight carrying abilities:
The Icelandinc Horse, stout and strong bones. Horse of the Vikings:
http://www.icelandichorse.is/karaktar.htm
The Paso Fino, fine boned but dense and tough:
http://www.equiworld.net/uk/horsecare/Breeds/pasofino/
Welsh Sport Pony, jumps 3 ft. with a man up:
http://www.dreamvalleyranch.biz/index.htm
Other breeds that carry heavy weights are Arabians (14-15 h.s average, light framed, large riders over long distances), Quarter horses (varies but the cutting horses can be as small as 13.2 and very light, they work about the hardest I've seen any horse do with big ole cowboys up.). In fact most of the horses in the world not descended from the huge continental European horses are small and tough. The cowboys of the american west rode on little mustange cow ponies that were sometimes as amall as 13 h. Then you can add to the rider weight 60lbs of tack plus whatever food and water and these were the toughest horses around. Really the biggest issue is skill and ballance. A light unballanced rider will run a horse down when a heavy rider that keeps off his rear and stays upright will go much further and faster.

Post by Guest »

Agreed generally Morgana, but you could add that horses are officially classed as being over 14.2 hands; anything under that is a pony. As you know, you don't back (ie ride) horses or ponies until they are at least three years old to avoid causing them injury; to do so results in their backs having a permanent dip. I don't know what would cause their spines to protrude, but it certainly wouldn't be love and attention.
I wonder what the position was with the Magyars? Their children were in the saddle from 18 months, and I know it left them bow-legged (like the stereotype old Cowpoke in comic westerns) but what did it do to the horse?
What types do you breed, btw? My in-laws breed Welsh ponies, one of the British Native breeds.
We have two Welshes and a thoroughbred ourselves, as my wife and daughters ride and compete.
Rokcet Scientist

Re: reply

Realist wrote:Agreed generally Morgana, but you could add that horses are officially classed as being over 14.2 hands; anything under that is a pony. [...]
Oops!
Slight correction, if I may: Falabella's are a miniature horse breed – 34 inches and under – but they are HORSES! Not "pony's" (http://www.falabella.co.uk/)!

Also, cowboys ride their "pony's". Wells Fargo was also known as "The Pony Express". And I can assure you those certainly weren't miniature horses.

Bottom line: the words "horse" and "pony" say ZILCH about the creature's size.
Extreme illustration: Seahorse...
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_horse)

Post by Guest »

Forgot about Falaballas! OK, what I mentioned was probably just British practice then.

Re: Into to the history of matriarchy

Post by Guest »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
daybrown wrote:it took about a week for him to fuck them all
This guy fucked a 100 virgins in one week? Yeah, right...
Shows how much you 'know' about men.

That was pissball Pete!

Over the hill came Pissball Pete
400 pounds of swinging meat
Lined a 100 virgins up against the wall
swore up and down he'd fuck 'em all
fucked 98 and his balls truned blue
backed off and jacked off
and fucked the other two.
Rokcet Scientist

Re: reply

Realist wrote:Forgot about Falaballas! OK, what I mentioned was probably just British practice then.
No, it's not just in the UK. It is exactly the same 'practice'/mistake in my country/language. So I suspect that is the same case in more countries/languages.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rokcet Scientist

Re: Into to the history of matriarchy

Anonymous wrote:"Pete's poem"
How poetic.

Post by Guest »

Let's see. A week has 168 hours, now if he took at least 8 hours a day for eating and resting (after all he would need to keep his energy up) that would take 56 hours. He would still have over 100 hours in the week to do his best on 100 females, that's an hour per girl. Hell most men I've met need only 5 minutes to do their part.
Morgana

Post by Morgana »

Definitions of hight are useless. A pony is a type that is always under 14.2. A horse is also a type that is usually over 14.2. But when the horse type gets under 14.2 they don't suddenly become ponies. A "cow pony" is still a horse. It is decended from the spanish barb and andalusians. No pony blood. The breeds that I mentioned are horses except for the welsh and the icelandic is debatable.
Also in some breeds (in this country at least) is is common practice to lightly ride a two year old. There aren't any ill effects on a suficiently mature 2 year old if not over done. Some breeds don't mature fast enough for this. Reining quarter horse and race horses are saddled are sometimes sat on late in their yearling year with serious training starting when they turn two.
I breed Paints.

Post by Guest »

Morgana,
Thanks for clarifying. As Rokcet pointed out, the confusion is deepened by people's habit of using 'horse' and 'pony' erratically.
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

"Shoot low, sherriff! He's ridin' a shetland pony!" :lol:
stan

ponies

Post by stan »

How did Jimmy Stewart dismount ponies?

He stood up and they walked away.

(Old Jack Benny joke.)
The deeper you go, the higher you fly.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator