"Land Bridge" theory?

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

It would seem to indicate that they were retired, however.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Apparently May the Great Auk was edible, though not particularly palatable, but that wasn't the point, the point was that they proved there was land to the West. The people weren't simply setting off into the sunset with no idea about land.
Leif Erikson, when heading west was only following others, the same for CC, the Potuguese had been fishing off the Grand Banks for years without actually settling in America but they would have talked about their experiences.
Regardless, DNA shows that Europeans did get to NA thousands of years ago and it sure wasn't via Pan Am!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Mayonaze wrote:BTW, when I retire I'd like to stay in Alaska - my wife says I'm not rational. This proves that the suspected Auk-chasers also weren't married!

I'm retired and I don't feel like chasing anything.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

That's not retired Min, that's dead! :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

My wine glass does not make me chase it.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Mayonaze wrote:
The calorie exchange implied by the Auk theory seems like a bust. All that effort to walk, design/build/operate a boat, and just stay warm to chase a semi-sedentary bird through an arctic environment when all they had to do was just head south? Assuming thet these people were rational, what could have been keeping them from going south? Competition?
Ask the Inuit.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Ask the Inuit.

Real-estate prices!

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

In the days when the Inuit normally used Seal skin boats they travelled along the edge of the ice, the pack ice and sludge helping to dampen sea swells, then pulled the boat onto the ice for the night.
Difficult to do in mid Atlantic! 8)
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Digit wrote:In the days when the Inuit normally used Seal skin boats they travelled along the edge of the ice, the pack ice and sludge helping to dampen sea swells, then pulled the boat onto the ice for the night.
Difficult to do in mid Atlantic! 8)
Not if the ice was a lot further south than it now is-and it was.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Don't understand that. The edge of the ice is the edge of the ice!
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:
Don't understand that. The edge of the ice is the edge of the ice!
Maybe you understand a picture, Digit . . . ? LOL! :o

Digit

Post by Digit »

Yes picture understood. But how does the position of the ice edge effect the point I made?
I said that the Inuit followed the edge of the ice, according to the Inuit, they didn't say they only followed it if it was in a certain point relative to the pole for example.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:
Yes picture understood. But how does the position of the ice edge effect the point I made?
I said that the Inuit followed the edge of the ice, according to the Inuit, they didn't say they only followed it if it was in a certain point relative to the pole for example.
Yes, and lampposts are generally made of steel too.

And, BTW Mr. English degree: "But how does the position of the ice edge effect the point I made?" ought to read "But how does the position of the ice edge Affect the point I made?" in proper English!
Digit

Post by Digit »

So I made a mistake, don't you ever?
And like our earlier debate? you haven't answered the question.
By the way Rocket not Rokcet or are you starting your own language?
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

I not following this too good. The ice did go south enuff to be in the midle of th atlntik. So wots the point?