Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

stan

Post by stan »

not me.
Rokcet Scientist

Re: google maps

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

[quote="stan"]Thanks for the tip, Rokcet...
Yes, I can use the site you referenced.

THere is another one, though, that consists of satellite photos...
you can see your house or anything like that...
I believe it's only for PC's so far.
The network TV shows in the US use it to show
views of Iraq, Baghdad, etc.[/quote]

That might be Yahoo Earth, stan. But http://maps.google.co.uk/ can do that too. Just use the zoom to zoom out, drag the map until your location is dead center, zoom in close and click 'satellite' or 'hybrid' in the top right hand corner. IF there are satellite images available you'll see them.
However, most of the world is not covered at all, and the images we DO get to see are often 20 years old... I.o.w. it is far from a reliable or really useful tool because it is 99% incomplete or outdated.
stan

underwater

Post by stan »

I finally looked at g hancock's website and the review of his new book.
THe new book looked pretty interesting. His website has a bunch of bulletin boards like this one, though hard to read on my computer.
Maybe he's a genius.
My Mac os OS9...that may be why I couldn't use Google Earth.
stan

Google earth

Post by stan »

The google earth photos are updated every three years. Check it out.

Thanks again for the tips, Rokcet. You're a sharp dude.
Rokcet Scientist

My pleasure
Frank Harrist

Try this one

Post by Frank Harrist »

I have used this site before to see my house and to search for archaeological sites near my home. It's pretty cool, but some of the pics are from a few years ago.
http://www.terraserver.com/
stan

underwater cave

Post by stan »

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/archeosm/en/

This is a really nice French Marine Arch. site. Don't worry, it's in English.
This paleolithic cave entrance is undersea. It's got everything..paintings, hand silhouettes, engravings...and PENGUINS!
Rokcet Scientist

Re: underwater cave

[quote="stan"]http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/archeosm/en/

This is a really nice French Marine Arch. site. Don't worry, it's in English.
This paleolithic cave entrance is undersea. It's got everything..paintings, hand silhouettes, engravings...and PENGUINS![/quote]

Well it was the ice age after all and the Cote d'Azur then probably had the climate of Norway today... Brrrr. :shock: And the local fauna would reflect that of course.
And the sea level was much, much lower, so the cave entrance then more likely than not was well above sea level.

Anyway, if these people were Solutreans, as I'm assuming, it was their bro's that walked the great ice shelf to America: Clovis/Kennewick Man. In that case there might be similar caves to be found in north-America!
Stan

solutreans, underwater caves.

Post by Stan »

Rokcet:
Your Solutrean hypothesis seems possible to me.
As i said in my post about paleoindian maps
the Atlantic coastline was about even with the present continental shelf.
However, to find seaside cliff caves over here, we'd have to go up to New England.
I don't want to get too nosey, but BTW, what are you doing in Europe? Are an American Expat?
Retired, stilll working? I respect your right to privacy, of course.
Stan
Rokcet Scientist

Re: solutreans, underwater caves.

[quote="Stan"]Rokcet:
Your Solutrean hypothesis seems possible to me.
As i said in my post about paleoindian maps
the Atlantic coastline was about even with the present continental shelf.
However, to find seaside cliff caves over here, we'd have to go up to New England.
I don't want to get too nosey, but BTW, what are you doing in Europe? Are an American Expat?
Retired, stilll working? I respect your right to privacy, of course.
Stan[/quote]

New England? sure. But what about the Chesapeake Bay area? Maybe the Great Lakes too? And aren't there many rocky coasts on the Pacific side as well? The trick is to know where sea level was in a particular period.

I live in Europe 'cause I'm a European. Semi-retired aiw.
stan

solutrean

Post by stan »

Rokcet:

But you don't have an accent!

The reason I only mentioned the East Coast is that archeologists already
have their eyes on the west coast, in North and South America.
I didn't think of the Great Lakes at all!
They would have been under ice during the last big one, but
of course you know that, so what did you have in mind? And isn't it likely that the glaciers would have eliminated just about everything that was there before??
From VIrginia on down, the coast is sandy, and I was thinking of durable stone caves and shelters. But there might be remnants on the
sea floor further south, too.
I just started reading Seahenge by Francis Pryor, subtitled
New Discoveries in Prehistoric Britain, copyright 2001. I think I am going to like it!
It must be about 3 am over there! It is 10:00 pm here, and I am going to turn in soon. Catch you on the flip side.
Rokcet Scientist

Re: solutrean

[quote="stan"][...}But you don't have an accent![/quote]

It's not very hard to sound American, apparently. :lol:

[quote="stan"]The reason I only mentioned the East Coast is that archeologists already have their eyes on the west coast, in North and South America.
I didn't think of the Great Lakes at all!
They would have been under ice during the last big one, but
of course you know that, so what did you have in mind?[/quote]

Were they?

[quote="stan"]And isn't it likely that the glaciers would have eliminated just about everything that was there before??[/quote]

That's why you have to look right south of where the ice edge was, then. As with today's glaciers, that is the place where meltwater would have formed puddles, pools, (Great) lakes and rivers.

[quote="stan"]From VIrginia on down, the coast is sandy, and I was thinking of durable stone caves and shelters. But there might be remnants on the sea floor further south, too.[/quote]

Isn't the Chesapeake Bay coastal area rocky too?

[quote="stan"]I just started reading Seahenge by Francis Pryor, subtitled
New Discoveries in Prehistoric Britain, copyright 2001. I think I am going to like it!
It must be about 3 am over there! It is 10:00 pm here, and I am going to turn in soon. Catch you on the flip side.[/quote] :lol:
stan

ice age great lakes

Post by stan »

Rokcet:

Here is a map showing the furthest extent of the ice sheet,
covering the Great Lakes.
It is routinely believed here that the Glaciers caused the Great Lakes to
form.
So you are talking about the period following the glaciation, when
the GLs were smaller....and people living around them might have left
some artifacts which are now under water...
seems possible.

Do you know of any fossils or human artifacts recovered from underneath
the icecap?
Rokcet Scientist

Re: ice age great lakes

[quote="stan"]Rokcet:
Here is a map showing the furthest extent of the ice sheet,
covering the Great Lakes.
It is routinely believed here that the Glaciers caused the Great Lakes to
form.
So you are talking about the period following the glaciation, when
the GLs were smaller....and people living around them might have left
some artifacts which are now under water...
seems possible.

Do you know of any fossils or human artifacts recovered from underneath the icecap?[/quote]

No. Not only after the ice age. All during it too. Glaciers are living things. They move all the time. They melt all the time. They produce water continuously. It never stops.
I'm not aware of human artifacts recovered from under the icecap, but within a mile from here there is a 6 ton rock sitting in the middle of town square. Geologists have determined it came from the middle of Sweden, about two thousand kilometers north of here. Moved, transported, by the ice shelf, the glacier – probably inside it - and deposited here at its southern edge, between 10,000 and 28,000 years ago.

BTW, where's that map?

Post by Guest »

Stan,
You might find these interesting:
http://www.iceage.org.uk
http://www.arch.soton.ac.uk/Research/Ag ... /index.htm
I think Southampton uni is now home to Dr Bryony Coles and the Doggerland Project; she used bathymetric data of the North Sea to tentatively reconstruct what the NW European plain ('Doggerland') looked like before the remnants were inundated by a tsunami c.7000 years ago. This tsunami was triggered by an underwater earthquake off Norway, which caused a major cliff fall. The tsunami eventually reached as far west as modern day Inverness in the Scottish Highlands.
A couple of years back, a team of underwater archaeologists discovered a pre-Ice Age hunting camp on the sea bed a couple of miles off the coast of Berwick on Tweed, Northumberland, NE England.