Ancient Agriculture

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb ... anaku.html
The rediscovery of these ancient farming techniques is paying off handsomely among the Aymara. About 1,200 farmers have now redeveloped raised fields and at least another 50 villages want training in prehistoric agriculture. The local diet is improving dramatically, for fish and ducks in the canals provide added nutrition in a country where over half the children suffer from malnutrition.
I know this is boringly on topic, but the farming techniques of the Tiwanakus is pretty neat. 8)

It doesn't take much to run a thread off topic, but a slight comment about boats seems to do it. :wink:
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

This basically the same technique that they are finding was used through out the Amazon basin.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Once when I was in my gardening phase I created a boxed in area, filled it with manure, compost, broken eggs shells, banana peels, etc. and ended up with tomato plants 8 feet high.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Homo Floresiensis will prove another, mark my words.
When I was training people for managerial tasks one of the things I drummed into them was never back yourself into a corner, always leave an escape route, never back your opponent into a corner either.
That is a brave statement RS, it may yet come back to haunt you. Me, I'll do what you insist on with boats, I'll wait for the evidence!
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:
Homo Floresiensis will prove another, mark my words.
That is a brave statement RS, it may yet come back to haunt you. Me, I'll do what you insist on with boats, I'll wait for the evidence!
The wait for recognition may be a lengthy one: Galileo Galilei was incarcerated for years for his heliocentric opinions and died thusly. He never got recognition!
So I wouldn't be surprised if 'Homo Floresiensis' outlived me, or if pleistocene boats would remain unproven during Min's life...
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

The problem is that it wasn’t until WWII that they learned to make boats out of concrete.
Most any Pleistocene boat would be long gone by now.
I doubt we will ever find direct evidence.
It will have to be reasoned out.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Somehow, early man got from Asia to Australia. If he didn't swim and he didn't fly it really only leaves boats as the solution....unless you want to claim that aliens transported them in their spaceships.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

So you don't subscribe to the Sunda/Sahul shelf theory - that they could have paddled... ? 8)

Cognito

Sunda

Post by Cognito »

Try this:

Natural selection favors the paranoid
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Brilliant Cogs. :lol:

So what did they need boats for, 15 - 25,000 years ago?

QED. 8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Ishtar wrote:So you don't subscribe to the Sunda/Sahul shelf theory - that they could have paddled... ? 8)
No.

Wallace's line between Australasian and Southeast Asian fauna. The deep water of the Lombok Strait between the islands of Bali and Lombok formed a water barrier even when lower sea levels linked the now-separated islands and landmasses on either side

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Drat and blast. That's another good theory down the drain!

I blame Cogs, leading me on there. 8)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Unfortunately Ish you seem to have missed the earlier arguments on this subject.
Please note that ONLY man and his dog have ever made it from Asia to Australasia. Had there been some land that they could have walked on then certainly Elephants at least, who colonised every island north of Australasia within swimable distance, would have made the crossing.
They didn't!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Right....and elephants could walk underwater and just put their trunks up...snorkel-like until they reached the other side.

The water must have been very deep!

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Thank you, Dig. I will remember that....but then, how did the kangaroos get there?

Listen, anyway - what's your earliest attested boat, archaeologically speaking?

We've got a possible 3,000 BC petraglyph of a spirit boat in the Shamanic Boats thread, if it's any good to you.