Indus Valley Civilization.

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks for your opinions guys. I will keep reading and come to some conclusion. I just want to make sure that what these folks are saying is based on solid astronomy. There are some scholars who are saying that they don't believe these dates but they don't use any facts to do it. They just say "phooey". Actually that tells me a lot.

What I really want to find is a scientific review that offers credible evidence that these dates are wrong.

I often engage in conjecture and some tangential thinking. I enjoy it and everyone knows it. In this case I'm interested in the origins of the Vedic culture and would rather not wind up with egg on my face. So, you folks are all the peer review there is for this. :lol:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/00 ... 291653.htm
Archaeological excavations at bet (island) Dwarka, which is western most part of India, also revealed an interesting cultural sequence commencing from pre-historic period (3800 years Before Present) to historical period (1600 Before Present)," he said.

"Interestingly, we came across amphorae shreds of Mediterranean origin. This indicated that Indian and Roman civilisations have similarities with each other through sea route," Vora stated.
Although not the period of Indian history that I'm interested in, this is interesting. Evidence of trade with the Romans. They are beginning to find quite a bit of this.

From Archaeologica News.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It's not all that surprising. Rome had a firm grip on the Eastern Med from 31 BC (Battle of Actium) until the 7th century. So, the traditional trade routes from India to the M/E would simply have seen the termini fall into Roman control. The Romans would have had no incentive to shut down that lucrative bit of commerce.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://203.197.197.71/presentation/left ... story.aspx
The Puranas, the ancient Hindu religious texts, are not mythological records but books of genuine historical evidence. A comprehensive research study carried out in the state by a Vedic research organisation shows that the Puranas reflect the development of social and moral ideas of the ancient Indian society, besides being chroniclers of the kings and the dynasties of those times. The Puranas are also prophetic in nature with several forecasts which later became historical truths.

"Puranas are not imaginary but have historical value. In numerous cases what the Puranas formulate, the Jatakas (ancient Buddhist texts) seem to illustrate. The striking agreement between the two accounts proves that they are not works of fiction but based on events," says Vedic researcher and Sanskrit scholar Dr Dhulipala Ramakrishna.
From the Daily Grail.
8)
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Found but, not yet viewed by me:

Scientific Verification of Vedic Knowledge
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7587&hl=en
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

An interesting video if you have a half hour to spare.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Yea, I did watch it later after the post, and it is interesting with some good background info.
Cognito

Puranas

Post by Cognito »

The Puranas, the ancient Hindu religious texts, are not mythological records but books of genuine historical evidence. A comprehensive research study carried out in the state by a Vedic research organisation shows that the Puranas reflect the development of social and moral ideas of the ancient Indian society, besides being chroniclers of the kings and the dynasties of those times. The Puranas are also prophetic in nature with several forecasts which later became historical truths.
Alright, Beags. Which is it? Historical fact or premonition by consensus. Can't be both. :evil:
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I enjoyed the film Monk, thanks. It seems to confirm what we've been posting.

Cogs I don't know anything about any prophecies in the Vedas, but I'm just a casual reader. I've done a lot more reading about them, than of them.

Like most mythic texts, the older they are, the more they've been embellished. In the Rig Vedas, which are the oldest, Rama ordered his army of monkeys to build a bridge to Ceylon (Sri Lanka). That's obviously not true, but there was probably a person named Rama and there is a bridge that was used up to 1480 AD.

The ancient Vedic astronomy has held up, making the origins of this civilization much older than has been considered before. And the artifacts coming out of the Bay of Cambay are sure to shift archaeologys' attention to India. They are still consistently recovering artifacts that date to 7500BC.

I guess I'll try to bone up on the subject now and avoid the rush later.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.hindu.com/yw/2007/04/13/stor ... 110200.htm
In Indus cities, each house or group of houses had a private well, made with wedge-shaped bricks that slotted together in a cylindrical shape strong enough to withstand the weight of water when the well was full. This is not a simple matter, and required calculation — otherwise a well could collapse once it was full of water.

How did the Indus people keep wells and bathing facilities watertight? First, they used bricks that fitted together tightly. Second, they coated the outer layers of structures that needed to stay watertight with a substance called bitumen, which is nothing but natural tar.
From Archaeologica News
8)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.archaeologyonline.net/artifa ... ation.html
We may note here that the claim that Indians, especially the upper castes, carry European genes is unfounded. The M17 genetic marker, which is supposed to be a 'Caucasian' trait, occurs with the highest frequency and diversity in India. This means that among M17 carriers, the Indian population is the oldest. The proponents of the now discredited Aryan invasion have got both the origin and the direction of movement wrong. It is different, however, with Southeast Asian markers: their frequency in both South Indian and North Indian populations is surprisingly high. This shows extensive gene exchange between Indians and Southeast Asians.

So, on the basis of ecology, agriculture, livestock, and human populations, we may safely conclude that the seeds for the growth of agriculture and animal husbandry needed to sustain the Vedic civilization existed by 10,000 B.C. The long-standing maritime connections between India and Southeast Asia going back to the Ice Age facilitated the transfer, beginning with river delta cultivation, once humans mastered the skill of reproducing the phenomenon that occurred naturally at places like Tonle Sap.
I pondered (?) about where to put this post, as it has relevance to hyperdiffusion, genetics, agriculture, and Vedic civilization. Seems most appropriate here.

From Archaeology on Line
8)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.ece.lsu.edu/kak/dhol.pdf

A short pdf file on Vedic script.
8)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.hindu.com/yw/2007/04/20/stor ... 430200.htm
Archaeologists have made intelligent guesses about Indus society by carefully studying the cities. Because the cities were so similar, it is reasonable to think that the people living in them shared ideas. How were the Indus cities kept in good condition for centuries? An efficient administration was probably in place to collect taxes for city maintenance. The similarities in the city layouts, home architecture, brick size, well construction and drainage systems also suggest a strong central authority.
From Arch. News. (quite a bit there today)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/module ... 81&page=15
Scientific evidences point to human activity in ancient times on both sides of Ram Sethu as found by Deptt. of Earth Sciences and ocean technologists of Bharatam. This area should be declared a protected monument under the Protection of Monuments Act and declared as a World Heritage site by the Government of India and advised to UNESCO.
This author may be having a little trouble with the English translation from his native Indian tongue, but he seems to be saying that evidence has been found that humans did construct a causeway over an existing geological structure between India and Sri Lanka (Ceylon).

That would confirm the myth in the Rig Veda if true.
From Archaeologica News.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.niot.res.in/m3/arch/index.htm

Marine archaeology in the Gulf of Khambat (Cambay). Lots of links and pictures. This website is the most up to date that there is, I think.

Charlie, I think you've displayed pictures of awls that look just like the ones here. 8)