Syro-Palestinian Archaeology

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Syro-Palestinian Archaeology

Post by Minimalist »

I figured this would be a good place for posting topics on the above.... the phrase coined by William Dever.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArti ... middleeast
The city is believed to have been built after Roman legions sacked Jerusalem and destroyed the second temple of Herod in the year 70 AD, Bar Nathan said.

It was abandoned in the year 130, at the time of the last Jewish revolt against Rome, during the reign of Hardian.

Bulldozers have ploughed through the heart of modern-day Shuafat to make way for a tram line that will serve Jewish districts north of Jerusalem on land occupied and annexed after the Six Day War of 1967.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Once again the archaeologists are being forced to do a hurry-up investigation because the project managers have construction deadlines. Once all the evidence is taken out of context we'll be able to make up all kinds of scenarios to fit our individual agendas.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Bulldozer archaeology....but the Israelis are as diligent about it as it seems possible to be.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

An interesting re-cap of the current state of Biblical Archaeology. The author attempts to write "Abraham" into the story at a late date.

http://www.bibleorigins.net/abrahamphilistines.html
In the past 20 years the findings from intense archaeological surveys within the modern state of Israel have challenged the biblical portrayal of Early Israel's origins. This article briefly explores and presents these findings, why they challenge the biblical account, and, finally, an attempt is made on my part to synthesize the biblical portrayal of Abraham as the founder of the nation with these findings.

The Problem:
The archaeological data does not support the biblical presentation of Israel's origins as portrayed in Genesis through Joshua. The current situation is that most Humanist scholars are of the understanding that there never was an Exodus as portrayed in the Pentateuch. Nor was there a military conquest of the Promised Land by Joshua- the archaeological evidence simply doesn't support the biblical claims.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hey, gang.

Major find in Israel.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200705 ... U1QG0.html
JERUSALEM (AP) - An Israeli archaeologist has found the tomb of King Herod, the legendary builder of ancient Jerusalem and the Holy Land, Hebrew University said late Monday.

The tomb is at a site called Herodium, a flattened hilltop in the Judean Desert, clearly visible from southern Jerusalem. Herod built a palace on the hill, and researchers discovered his burial site there, the university said.

-- George Carlin
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

And then a little more of the story with a picture even.
http://apnews.excite.com/article/200705 ... 6V0O0.html
Netzer said a team of researchers found pieces of a limestone sarcophagus believed to belong to the ancient king. Although there were no bones in the container, he said the sarcophagus' location and ornate appearance indicated it is Herod's.
Stephen Pfann, an expert in the Second Temple period at the University of the Holy Land, called the find a "major discovery by all means," but cautioned further research is needed.

He said all signs indicate the tomb belongs to Herod, but said ruins with an inscription on it were needed for full verification.

"We're moving in the right direction. It will be clinched once we have an inscription that bears his name," said Pfann, a textual scholar who did not participate in Netzer's dig.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Let's see. The tomb contains nothing with Herod's name, the sarcophagus is in a million bits and all the stuff the good ole Josephus described as being in the tomb is not there. Yet, they know that this is Herod's tomb. Sure :roll:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Herod was generally despised by Jewish nationalists groups for his asskissing of the Romans and they did have control of the site. Certainly within the realm of possibility that they defiled his tomb.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

In addition Min he wasn't Jewish.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He was a convert which, as you say, was not good enough for the priests.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I recorded a National Geographic special on "Lost Kings of the Bible" last night.

It's about David and Solomon and is very good on the current archaeology. If anyone wants it just say so and I'll ship it out to you.

(Arch has already gotten it!)

-- George Carlin
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

Minimalist wrote:I recorded a National Geographic special on "Lost Kings of the Bible" last night.

It's about David and Solomon and is very good on the current archaeology. If anyone wants it just say so and I'll ship it out to you.

Thanks for sending it to me Min. I'm going to watch it later tonight after the grown kids are done Mothers daying me and the littles are asleep.

Star
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

LOL!

Helping you to death, are they?

-- George Carlin
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

Minimalist wrote:LOL!

Helping you to death, are they?
You ain't just whistling Dixie! If I survive I'll come back and post later.

Star

clubs_stink

Post by clubs_stink »

Minimalist wrote:I recorded a National Geographic special on "Lost Kings of the Bible" last night.

Some more food for thought along the same vein

http://www.egyptcx.netfirms.com/were_th ... gypt_2.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Solomon-Falcon-Sh ... 31882126/1