Texas Monkeys

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Texas Monkeys

Post by Minimalist »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070402/ap_ ... f1BpVFeQoB

BEAUMONT, Texas - A team of anthropologists said their study of South Texas fossil deposits revealed evidence including ancient teeth that shows the area was home to numerous types of primates 42 million years ago.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

Now how did those guys get here? Remnants from the Pangea break-up? (too early according to the present model) :? Convergent evolution? :roll: H. erectus brought pets... :P .

Last edited by Charlie Hatchett on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Charlie Hatchett

Might also be applicable to the global warming post:

Climate
Marking the start of the Eocene, the planet heated up in one of the most rapid (in geologic terms) and extreme global warming events recorded in geologic history, called the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum or Initial Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM or IETM). This was an episode of rapid and intense warming (up to 7°C at high latitudes) that lasted less than 100,000 years [1]. The Thermal Maximum provoked a sharp extinction event that distinguishes Eocene fauna from the ecosystems of the Paleocene.

The Eocene global climate was perhaps the most homogeneous of the Cenozoic; the temperature gradient from equator to pole was only half that of today's, and deep ocean currents were exceptionally warm.[2] The polar regions were much warmer than today, perhaps as mild as the modern-day Pacific Northwest; temperate forests extended right to the poles, while rainy tropical climates extended as far north as 45 degrees latitude. The difference was greatest in the temperate latitudes; the climate in the tropics however, was probably similar to today's.(Stanley, 508)

Climates remained warm through the rest of the Eocene, although slow global cooling, which eventually led to the Pleistocene glaciations, started around the end of the epoch as ocean currents around Antarctica cooled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eocene
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Charlie Hatchett wrote:Now how did those guys get here? Remnants from the Pangea break-up? (too early according to the present model) :? Convergent evolution? :roll: H. erectus brought pets... :P .
Seems pretty obvious to me, you have not been reading the Multiregional vs. Out of Africa Thread. We just had this same discusion vis-a-vis south american primates.

:roll:
Charlie Hatchett

Forum Monk wrote:
Charlie Hatchett wrote:Now how did those guys get here? Remnants from the Pangea break-up? (too early according to the present model) :? Convergent evolution? :roll: H. erectus brought pets... :P .
Seems pretty obvious to me, you have not been reading the Multiregional vs. Out of Africa Thread. We just had this same discusion vis-a-vis south american primates.

:P ...apparently not. I've been going 90 miles an hour with the rains. I'll have to read it. :wink:

Funny thing, though, is Africa, Antarctica, and South America have been seperated since the Creataceous.
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Forum Monk wrote:

I wonder if the Texas primates allowed the South American primates to come north to pick nuts and berries for them at low wages?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Minimalist wrote:
Forum Monk wrote:

I wonder if the Texas primates allowed the South American primates to come north to pick nuts and berries for them at low wages?
Only if the resident monkeys were liberal. If there was a well-to-do right-winger in the bunch, there would have been hell to pay. After all they wanted the poor monkeys to do all the work for them for just slightly higher wages. That way if there happen to be any nuts or berries left over they could save them for themselves. :twisted:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah...unless the well-to-do monkey owned the nuts and berry farm and had paid big bucks to the Head Monkey to get him elected. Then he would want to be able to hire cheap South American monekys to harvest his nuts and berries and would not give a rat's ass what the other Texas Monkeys thought.

:wink:

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Minimalist wrote:Yeah...unless the well-to-do monkey owned the nuts and berry farm and had paid big bucks to the Head Monkey to get him elected. Then he would want to be able to hire cheap South American monekys to harvest his nuts and berries and would not give a rat's ass what the other Texas Monkeys thought.

So true, so true...The whole Mexican immigration thing pisses me off particularly, because at one time their forefathers were citizens of Texas, as part of the Republic.
Shoot, Texas is 35% hispanic.
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

You Texans need to get over it. As much as y'all like to think so, you're not an independent country any more.

Charlie Hatchett

Forum Monk wrote:You Texans need to get over it. As much as y'all like to think so, you're not an independent country any more.

:P

I must have missed the memo. :wink:
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I suppose coming from New York where ethnic neighborhoods were quite common and every other group has managed to assimilate quite nicely I have a different outlook than these yahoos down here who go to the border to watch for illegals. I can't help but think that if they were white and English speaking there would not be such a hubbub.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Minimalist wrote:I suppose coming from New York where ethnic neighborhoods were quite common and every other group has managed to assimilate quite nicely I have a different outlook than these yahoos down here who go to the border to watch for illegals. I can't help but think that if they were white and English speaking there would not be such a hubbub.
Exactly, Min. When you live here and see it, it smacks of racism. In practice though, most deportation enforcement only occurs by Feds, not locals (unless a crime occurs). Mexicans are an intergral part of the culture in the south, and most don't see any problem with it. There is the taxaton issue though most don't seem to care. Most Mexicans are also of Native American descent.
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Lots of them pay taxes (social security and otherwise) because they have to get phony numbers for their "employers." They will never see a nickel's worth of benefits from those deductions.

What people whine about are the kids clogging the schools BUT for the most part those kids are born here and are thus American citizens. Those kids are eligible to be president.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Minimalist wrote:Lots of them pay taxes (social security and otherwise) because they have to get phony numbers for their "employers." They will never see a nickel's worth of benefits from those deductions.

What people whine about are the kids clogging the schools BUT for the most part those kids are born here and are thus American citizens. Those kids are eligible to be president.
Exactly. My wife is a perfect example. Her mother came to Texas from Mexico "illegally", though no one gave a rats ass back then.
Charlie Hatchett

www.preclovis.com