Marine Archaeology

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Beagle wrote:That's right. Don't forget to take pics. The archaeology kind. :wink:
The last stop is at Santorini. Before that, Knossos. I need to get a bigger card for my camera.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:
Beagle wrote:That's right. Don't forget to take pics. The archaeology kind. :wink:
The last stop is at Santorini. Before that, Knossos. I need to get a bigger card for my camera.
Cards are cheap these days. Don't skimp on it. Or on picture quality. Use the highest possible quality settings, lowest compression. Preferably RAW+JPG.

What camera have you got, Min?

If they have internet on board – and they probably do – consider sending the contents of every full card home using http://www.pando.com/. That way, you can empty your card and use it again, while your photos are already safely back home. Even if the ship sinks, or some local authorities – or bandits.... – impound your camera gear, your photos would be safe!

8)

One precondition: it needs to be broadband internet. Or uploads would take weeks.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Minimalist wrote:
Jealousy requires me to tell you that it must be a HUGE card in your camera and we damn well better see some great pics......of all kinds!

Bob, here's wishing you a great trip when you go with lots of memories! :wink:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Rokcet Scientist

I hear Crete is inundated with Russian and Ukrainian girls, this year . . .
And of course with the crime statistics associated with their 'protectors'.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Preferably RAW+JPG.
Is that English?

It's a Sony Cyber Shot.[/quote]
Last edited by Minimalist on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

MichelleH wrote:
Minimalist wrote:
Jealousy requires me to tell you that it must be a HUGE card in your camera and we damn well better see some great pics......of all kinds!

Bob, here's wishing you a great trip when you go with lots of memories! :wink:

I'll see what I can do, boss. Bestbuy has a 4 gig card on sale. That should do the trick.

I'll try not to make the photos as big as R/S's so they mess up the whole board.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:
I'll try not to make the photos as big as R/S's so they mess up the whole board.
If you do they won't be decently printable.

What model CyberShot, Min? Sony's got about 4 dozen!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It just says Cyber-shot

3x Optical Zoom

5.1 Mega Pixels

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Bob, here's wishing you a great trip when you go with lots of memories!
Ditto Min!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/feature/de ... 5000&ty=st
The newly found construction in Lake Biel is different. It was a large rectangular structure standing alone 200 meters from shore, which meant it was clearly not a dwelling house.

Three circles of stakes discovered not far away were the clue to its function. The circles were fish traps, and the building would have used by fishermen to store equipment and perhaps to smoke fish, Hafner explained.

“This is the first time we have found a prehistoric fishing place in one of our Swiss lakes,” archaeologist Cynthia Dunning told swissinfo.

“But one find always brings another one. I hope we’ll find more.”

The closest known parallel comes from the Baltic area.

The site has been meticulously recorded, and all possible information has been gleaned from it. The piles are now being left where they were, and may disappear gradually.
Switzerlands oldest lake village. From todays newsroom.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/119237.html
Arendsee, Germany - Archaeologists have made significant mediaeval finds in the northern German lake, the Arendsee, that reveal fishing activities linked to a nearby monastery. Speaking before the 14th annual meeting this weekend of European underwater archaeologists at the lake, Rosemarie Leineweber of the monuments and archaeology office of the state of Saxony-Anhalt noted in particular the discovery of a dugout.
Another significant find is the fence for catching fish. "The construction dates back to the years 2500 to 2700 before our era and is in excellent condition," Leineweber said.
A fence instead of a net. That's interesting.