Honey Bees

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

BTW, for my edification: what is the connection between American honey bees, dying or otherwise, and archaeology?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

None that I know of.

What do you want to do? Stay on topic or something?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
john

Post by john »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:BTW, for my edification: what is the connection between American honey bees, dying or otherwise, and archaeology?
Couple three things.

One. Apparently, the jamestown indians dreaded the appearance of the hnoeybee, as it signified "the end of life as they knew it". Still researching that one.

Two. The European honeybee was introduced to america by, guess what, boy howdy, europeans, as part of the massive conversion of the american continent from

a contiguous set of cultures from maybe 13000 bc = could call these archeological -

to -

the almost complete elimination of these cultures within 200 years, with the poor ol' european honeybee being (unknown to the hoeybee) an agent of said destruction of aboriginal cultures and pre-european ecologic balances.

john
Rokcet Scientist

john wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
BTW, for my edification: what is the connection between American honey bees, dying or otherwise, and archaeology?
Couple three things.
6 things?

One. Apparently, the jamestown indians dreaded the appearance of the hnoeybee, as it signified "the end of life as they knew it". Still researching that one.
Shows you how much they "knew".

Two. The European honeybee was introduced to america by, guess what, boy howdy, europeans, as part of the massive conversion of the american continent from

a contiguous set of cultures from maybe 13000 bc = could call these archeological -
"Archaeological"?
Were these 13000 BC indiginous American honey bees "unearthed" then?

to -

the almost complete elimination of these cultures within 200 years, with the poor ol' european honeybee being (unknown to the hoeybee) an agent of said destruction of aboriginal cultures and pre-european ecologic balances.
If not those 15.000 yr old indiginous American honey bees, then were the 200 yr old indiginous American honey bees – the last of the Mohicans . . . – "unearthed" perhaps?
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Minimalist wrote:None that I know of.

What do you want to do? Stay on topic or something?
Topic: Honey Bees
Framework: Science of

Close enough for government work IMO
john

Post by john »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
john wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Couple three things.
6 things?

Shows you how much they "knew".

"Archaeological"?
Were these 13000 BC indiginous American honey bees "unearthed" then?

to -

If not those 15.000 yr old indiginous American honey bees, then were the 200 yr old indiginous American honey bees – the last of the Mohicans . . . – "unearthed" perhaps?

Now...........chickens.

But there is a point here.

WASHINGTON - Why did the chicken cross the ocean? To get to America before Columbus — and from the other direction — according to a new report in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Many scholars had thought chickens arrived in the New World with the early Spanish or Portuguese explorers around the year 1500.

When Juan Pizarro arrived at the Inca empire in 1532, however, he found chickens already being used there, raising the possibility they had been around for some time.

Story continues below ?
advertisement

And now, researchers led by Alice Storey at the University of Auckland, New Zealand, report finding evidence that may ruffle some scholarly feathers. They found chicken bones of Polynesian origin at a site in what is now Chile.

Radiocarbon dating of chicken bones at the site on the Arauco Peninsula in south central Chile indicated a range of A.D. 1321 to 1407, well before the Spanish arrival in the Americas.

The researchers were able to obtain DNA from some of the bones of these early birds, and found they were identical to ancient chicken bones previously found in Tonga and Samoa.

Chicken had been used in the Pacific for at least 3,000 years, spreading eastward across the region as Polynesians gradually populated the islands.

The DNA from these chickens also shared some unique sequences with modern Araucana chickens from South America and some current chicken types in Hawaii and Southeast Asia, the researchers found.

The European honeybee was just a latter example of this sort of human colonialism.

Chickens and honeybees, innocent enough on the surface, but they changed a continent.

NOT - gasp! - to speak of the idea that America may have been originally populated from the West, and not by the Beringian land bridge either.

But from the sea. Polynesian chickens, anyone?

john
Rokcet Scientist

It's not either/or, John. It's and/and.
Across the sea, across the ice, and across the land (bridge).
And it wasn't just once, but hundreds of times.
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Minimalist wrote:Which is why one does not let the common people make important decisions.

Then why do we elect them?

Yeah, I'm back 8)
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

I have to say that I think that this subject is on topic in that the introduction of ferril animals is a long time habit of the human species, and is in itself evidence of human occupation (that being archaeology/anthropology). The fact that the bees are dying off, is a topic for discussion as it opens the door for investigation to previous mass extinctions with cause and effect, that could possibly help to prevent disaster in our near future, or at least prepare for what is coming.

Now as to causes of the die off> has anyone thought that the genetically altered food products, the chemical pesticides/fertilizers and added steroids and other chemicals to enhance production, might have some little bit to do with it? 8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

To quote Lewis Black:

"The choice in the last election was between two bowls of shit."

That's the choice that the people make. The powers-that-be decide who the candidates will be.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Nice to have you back.

-- George Carlin
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Thanks Min, it's good to be back. One more paper, one more final then I am good till fall term. (whew!)
john

Post by john »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:It's not either/or, John. It's and/and.

Never disagreed with that. Just taking it further. Try THOUSANDS of times.

And just for the hell of it,

think of early man as

a pelagic animal.

That's where it starts to make sense to me.

john
Rokcet Scientist

john wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:It's not either/or, John. It's and/and.
Never disagreed with that. Just taking it further. Try THOUSANDS of times.
Let's agree on "many, many times"?
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

A prize winning essay from a local teen.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /706190314
Kelton Shockey, 13, says the bees are tuckered out and stressed from too much feeding on corn syrup and too much trucking around the country to pollinate orchards.

In his 1,300-word essay, which won him a $250 prize and publication in Beeline, a beekeeper's magazine, Kelton argues that harvesting all the bees' honey and feeding them corn or sugar syrup is weakening their immunity to natural pests and diseases.

"Is feeding the bees sugar the equivalent of feeding them 'junk food?' " Shockey asks in his essay. "... Corn syrup does not have any minerals in it, whereas honey is very high in minerals.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF