Whales as archaeological record keepers

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Slow news day, Monk.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

Sorry. The :lol: and the (not) were intended to indicate ficticious humor. I'll be more careful next time.
ravenwing5910

Post by ravenwing5910 »

Sorry, coming in late. But when I saw the topic I could not resist. I have read some (alot) of the Native American myths and legends. Some of the legends refer to whales as the record keepers, or keepers of history. Seems to me if we paid a bit more attention to the ancient stories we might not be so surprised when we find out some of this "new" information. :wink:
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Another one:
BBC: Thursday, 14 June 2007, 03:41 GMT

19th century bomb found in whale

The time delay bomb was patented in 1879
Scientists have retrieved a weapon fragment from a whale that suggests it may have swum its first strokes not long after the American Civil War.
The fragment is part of a time delay bomb that was introduced in 1879 and manufactured until 1885.

Scientists say it is rare to find a whale over 100 years old but believe some may reach 200.

The bowhead whale was killed by indigenous hunters off Alaska as part of their subsistence quota.

Experts think the wound was inflicted in about 1890.

[...]
Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6751175.stm