Digit

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Digit

Post by Digit »

Some time ago I revealed in a dicussion that I had been diagnosed as having a cancer.
I was swamped by good wishes and advice from you all.
Today the tumour was confirmed by biopsy and an MRI is to follow shortly.
The tumour is treatable!
I would like at this time to extend to you all, my forum friends, my heartfelt thanks for your prayers, your good wishes and your help at a time that has been very difficult for myself and my family.
Bless you all.
Digit. (Roy)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Superb news, buddy. Go have a warm beer on me!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Yeaaah! :D :D :D
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Roy,

That is fantastic news!
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

Excellent news, Roy!!

Have 2 warm beers!! :P

God bless,
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com
Cognito

Good news

Post by Cognito »

Congrats, Digit. And I'm sure your wife is very relieved also! :D

Patrick
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Digit

Post by Digit »

More than two my friends! I'm not out of the woods yet as a cure is unlikely at my age, but remission isn't such a bad thing at my age, and life is still great, even if the gardening is getting harder!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

My dad was diagnosed with it at 78 or so. He's now 90. His doctor tells him that he'll die with it rather than of it. They are not even treating it at this point....just watching.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Over here Min apparently 40% of over 70s have it and most as you say die with it.
I've been informed that about 30% die of it but that takes about 15 yrs. I've not had a detailed prognosis yet but the hospital says it's treatable and something's going to get me in the end, no body gets out alive do they?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Not so far.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

To borrow a phrase from another group. “You go Guy!”

I have had 4 close encounters with cancer. None in family, but close friends of my parents or myself.

It reminds me of our discussion on miracles, and doctors believing in them. To me, it really does seem to be a case of mind over matter.
My first encounter was a friend of my mothers who came down with breast cancer. They removed one, then the other. At that point she just lost interest in life and was dead in 2 months.

The second was the same except she had 2 teenage daughters. She fought it until her daughters were married. About 6 years. Then she seemed to have the attitude that she had done what she needed to do, folded her hands, and died within the year.

The 2 men were predictably different. One was a Class A personality VP at a big outfit. When he was told he would be dead in 2 years, he worked their medical plan for all that it was worth. When he learned it was throughout his body, he took a long delayed leave of absence, but stayed on the payroll. He died on a cruise ship off the cost of Costa Rica. In a deck chair, with a drink in his hand, and next to his wife.

The forth is like Minimalist’s dad. A widower at 50, told his lung cancer would kill him within the year at 62, he still goes dancing and drinking every Fri. night, complains about his headache all day Sat. and shows up for church on Sun. He is well into his seventies. I overheard him tell a lady at church that was trying to tell him to slow down, and I hope I remember this for a long time, “I guess we have learned to live together. Maybe it knows that if it kills me, then it dies too.”

This is all a long way of saying that even when we start to think about the end of life, life is what we make it.

Your attitude when you first told us about your problem scared me.
Fight it, man!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Cheers KB. I'm not giving in to it my friend, I've still got a lot to live for, and certainly attitude of mind does seem to have a bearing on the end result.
It's a disease, no more than any other serious disease, and a damn site less debilitating than heart disease for example, and currently I'm sleeping like a baby, not worrying too much.
But thank you for you remarks, the support of friends is a real boost.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

That's wonderful news Digit. If there is such a thing as a "good" cancer, you have it. You join the ranks of Rudy Giullani, Arnold Palmer, and many others. Still, having prostate problems is a real PIA.

I hope you like your physician on a personal level. You've evidently reached that point in life where you'll be seeing him regularly. :)

I'm very happy for you and your family.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

I am sorry I was off line when you were on line Digit. But I am definately encouraged by the news as I am sure you are. If you don't mind, we'll keep the prayers going, just for good measure.

:wink:

Cheers my friend.
FM
Digit

Post by Digit »

Thanks FM, please do.