otzi

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

A photo album would be very interesting, with before and after shots of the body in situ. Who knows what a sharp forensics eye could see after-the-fact. But I think the GPS coordinates are withheld to prevent trasure-hunters and tourists from destroying the site.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Forum Monk wrote:
But I think the GPS coordinates are withheld to prevent trasure-hunters and tourists from destroying the site.
At 3,210 meters I'll bet you 100 bucks no 'treasure hunters' will ever make or complete the effort, and those 'tourists' are hardened alpine hikers of which maybe 100 max. might get close to that spot per year. Not your average Joe and Jill Tourist!
Besides, what's there to take? Wasn't everything carefully removed to laboratories for close examination and safekeeping in deepfreeze?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Well here's my two pennorth. Helmut Simon and his wife were listed as 'hikers' and were part of a party. He was also 62 years of age, a little old for mountaineering I think.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Well here's my two pennorth. Helmut Simon and his wife were listed as 'hikers' and were part of a party. He was also 62 years of age, a little old for mountaineering I think.
I'll bet you Helmut and his wife would beat you and me both hands down in a trekking challenge up there. You don't go there unless you know what you're doing. Chances are Helmut and Mrs Simon had been mountain hikers for 30 years or more.
Digit

Post by Digit »

You don't go there unless you know what you're doing.
He died five years later, hiking! 8)
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:
You don't go there unless you know what you're doing.
He died five years later, hiking! 8)
In the harness! After surviving it for sixty-seven years!
Oetzi didn't.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.smh.com.au/news/arts/the-ice ... 17752.html
Since the Iceman was found in the Otztal Alps - hence his nickname - forensic science has been revolutionised. We now know he lived between 3350 and 3100 BC - before either Stonehenge or the pyramids of Giza had been built. He had blue eyes, dark shoulder-length hair, was 1.6 metres tall and weighed about 50 kilograms - average build in the Copper Age. However, at 46, he would have been considered elderly.

In 2001 X-rays revealed a previously hidden arrowhead in his shoulder - and new research this year has concluded that the Iceman was definitely murdered.
A new article about Otzi. Nothing new about the mystery of his death though.
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

Actually, Beagle, there was something new in that article:
What is really new is that we have checked his head and … found a brain trauma.

"We have also found a fracture and bleeding of the brain. This alone would have caused his death."

So did he injure his head falling after the arrow hit him? Or did his murderer hit him when he was down?
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Calling CSI!!
What was the angle of the hit?
The force involved?
Shape of the injury and therefor shape of whetever he hit or hit him?
So many questions. So little data.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Barracuda wrote:Actually, Beagle, there was something new in that article:
What is really new is that we have checked his head and … found a brain trauma.

"We have also found a fracture and bleeding of the brain. This alone would have caused his death."

So did he injure his head falling after the arrow hit him? Or did his murderer hit him when he was down?
I haven't looked back through this thread Barracuda, but I think we knew that. In any case, a new article talks about the "Curse of the Iceman". :roll:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22 ... 01,00.html

One interesting part of this article is that it talks a little about the tattoos that Otzi had. Acupuncture or coincidence? At 5,000 yrs. ago even.