Aleutian Archaeology

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Mayonaze

Aleutian Archaeology

Post by Mayonaze »

This summer excavation continues in advance of the Amaknak Bridge Project at Unalaska, in the Aleutian Islands (SW Alaska). I've visited the site a couple of times and have seen a display of preliminary findings at the local museum. The site dates from between 3300 and 2700 radiocarbon years before present. Information about the data recovery effort is available here:
http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/oha/un ... bridge.htm
See item #4 for an overview.

Information on a nearby contemporary site (Margaret Bay) is available here:
http://archaeology.about.com/gi/dynamic ... o/m%2Dbay/

One feature of the Amaknak dig that I found remarkable is that the residences had in-floor heating - channels built into the floor to conduct heat from the hearth to more distant parts of the room.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

channels built into the floor to conduct heat from the hearth to more distant parts of the room.

Sounds like a Roman bath, Mayo.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:
channels built into the floor to conduct heat from the hearth to more distant parts of the room.
Sounds like a Roman bath, Mayo.
See! Those Romans were an enterprising bunch! They got around.
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

I guess I (and others?) struggle against naive arrogance when considering our predecessors, constantly underestimating them. These people weren't stupid, they weren't unsophisticated. With their knowledge and resources, I probably would do no better and could very easily do worse.
Last edited by Mayonaze on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Most of us would starve to death in the cold if put into those conditions.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:
Most of us would starve to death in the cold if put into those conditions.
Most of them did too!
It wasn't a walk in the park.
Very few had the skills and were hardy enough to survive.
Survival of the fittest.
And those fittest are our ancestors.
Evolution.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That's an issue that deserves its own thread, R/S.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Is this the infamous "Bridge to Nowhere?"
They cut the funding for the bridge, but the pre-building work goes on?
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

Nope. The Gravina Island Bridge (Ketchikan Alaska) is about 1,400 miles from Unalaska. I'm not going to comment on the politics! :roll:
Digit

Post by Digit »

What's this bridge then?
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I just looked up both places on yahoo maps.
They are about as far apart as you can get and still be in Alaska. Which is saying quite a bit. Aleutian Islands to south of Juneau.
I have to say that I cannot see the need for a bridge at either location. You have an airport, some water, and a city. But neither airport would qualify as an O'hare or DFW.
But they are finding good stuff, and of all the states, Alaska can afford this kind of work the most.
Under the floor, radient heat, in the Aleutian Islands! How far did those Roman traders get?
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

[quote="kbs2244"]
I have to say that I cannot see the need for a bridge at either location. You have an airport, some water, and a city. But neither airport would qualify as an O'hare or DFW.
quote]

KB: No offense intended but this is a curious comment from someone interested in archaeology.... maybe you are too rooted in your own environment to understand the needs of someone in another place, much less in another time? What do you know of Alaska? Should you be questioning your assumptions?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I recall reading where there is some archaeological evidence to suggest that underfloor heating originated in the Indus Valley in the 6th millenia, BC. It spread to Rome thus continuing the Roman's trend of adapting and perfecting technology discovered by others. The Romans were not great innovators but they were extraordinary engineers.

In any case....if an idea could spread westward it could also spread eastward.

-- George Carlin
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

Or it could arise independently. As I think Jared Diamond pointed out in Guns Germs and Steel, the domesticaltion of plants and animals occurred in different locations and different times without inter-cultural (?) contact in all cases.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Same on this thread as on the wheel one, and I'm in my usual puzzled state.
On the one hand the club tells me that as we are big brained we are the most intelligent animal ever to have walked this planet, then they turn around and try to tell me Homo is bloody stupid!
If one group can solve a problem in a certain way, why not another group?
Like I said, I'm puzzled.