I'm back

Tell us what you think about your visit to our site!

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

War Arrow

I'm back

Post by War Arrow »

Seemed more appropriate in here than presenting myself as an object of archaeological discussion (although you're welcome to have a go - the pot sherds deposited during my formative period are particularly interesting). Anyway, I've had an absolute C*** of a year, but the worst is over - I've moved and the place is pretty good, plus I'm back on line and back into the proper writing (currently a lengthy argument marking the distinguishing characteristics of two Mexican Chinampanec Gods (Atlaua and Amimitl) in support of the notion that they represent subtley different concepts and are therefore not the same bloke wearing different hats) - less good is that my rent is extortionate so I'm more or less permanently skint and have to save up even to buy a sodding book (so the twelve volume facsimile of Fr. Sahagun's Florentine Codex is a long way off), and I had a fight with a wall so my typeing/mouse hand is now in bandages. For this latter reason, and for the reason that in order to concentrate on the above God stuff, I'm probably not going to spend so much time on the internet, but I will drop in here much more frequently even if just as a lurker. So hello again. Nice to be back. What have I missed? Did Charlie get anyone to eat their mealy-mouthed no-pre-clovis words yet?
Cognito

Hola

Post by Cognito »

¡Hola tambien! Welcome back ... Clovis First is in full retreat, Charlie hasn't received his definitive dating yet, I have threatened to help him, but he's has more common sense than that. Chris Hardaker's book The First American is out which deals with Valsequillo near Puebla in your locale of interest, but 250K years further back than you are accustomed to researching. Paradigms are dropping by the wayside. :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Hello W/A. I joined the forum about the time you seemed to disappear completely. I did get the opportunity to review many of your past postings and you have struck me as a gentleman and a scholar. Welcome back. I hope you join in and offer some "new blood" to the forum.

Best regards,
FM
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Thanks you two. I've heard good things about the CH book, at least enough to suggest I can't really afford to not read it at some point - it goes on the list. Also hello FM - thanks for the welcome and glad you changed your avatar - the last one was a bit fierce!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Whadda yer mean 'new blood' Monk? That's ageism! :lol:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Digit wrote:Whadda yer mean 'new blood' Monk? That's ageism! :lol:
I usually don't shy away from "ism"s, Digit.
War Arrow wrote:glad you changed your avatar - the last one was a bit fierce!
I didn't realize it was "fierce". This one is a bit cartoonish, in my opinion. I am on the look out for a new one.

:wink:
Digit

Post by Digit »

What about the real you?
Starflower

Post by Starflower »

Welcome back War Arrow, I missed you.

Star
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

"Give us the timber or we'll go all stupid and lawless on your butts". --Redcloud, MTF
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Starflower wrote:Welcome back War Arrow, I missed you.

Star
Thanks, Star - really good to be back. I've missed a lot of the folks around here, and I'm feeling a whole lot better about everything than I did six months ago. Did you watch Apocalypto by the way? I'm proud to say someone did me a dodgy DVD so Mel got none of my hard earned but...
the historical element is next to useless (although the sets, dress etc are spot on so far as I can tell) and it is far too violent BUT...
it shames me to say this but I thought it was a pretty good film if a lousy bit of history. Music, camerawork, direction etc - all really, really beautifully done (as in it didn't look like a Hollywood film). The end though (about which I was most concerned) - if Mel wanted this to be a "Jesus has come to save these people from themselves" message, then he messed up bad. The overwhelming feeling I got from the arrival of the conquistadores at the end was "you think that was bad - just wait and see what THIS lot have got in store for you..."
Trawling about on the internet, this seems to be the message everyone else picked up too.
So - I'm as surprised as anyone to find myself saying this, but aside from the lame history, it really was a pretty good film I thought. If I could change one thing about it I'd probably reduce the often unneccessary levels of gore as that (ie-Maya civilisation as a bloodbath) bothered me a lot more than the historical boo boo at the end.

Mindyou, La Otra Conquista dumps big ones over Apocalypto within the first five minutes.
Manystones

Post by Manystones »

Wondered where you'd got to. Good to see you are alive and kicking still.

Welcome back.
War Arrow

Re: I'm back

Post by War Arrow »

Uhhh... and seeing as I notice at least Min and Digit are still around, here I am again, at least back to the odd lurk.

Now living in San Antonio, Texas as of about two months ago. Got married just last week. Still writing...

Not much to add except I've been trying to turn the yard into a garden (what is it with you Americans and that chain-link stuff everywhere), and Texas seems to be full of rocks, and some pretty interesting looking ones too.

So... how are you all doing?

Is Charlie Hatchett still around? I've been wondering how near I am to him.

EDIT: Good grief - just realised I live next door to Min!
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Welcome back WA! Yes you are next door to Min so beware, his reach is legendary! :shock:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Next door....except for New Mexico.

Charlie's near Austin.

Just married, huh..... What a shame.

Anyway, welcome back, W/A.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Long time no see WA, yeah me and Min are still trying to keep 'em all in line. Nic to see you back, and ignore Min, congratulations!
Charlie took umbrage at Rokcet Scientist, he wasn't the only one I might add, and is no longer with us but much missed.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Digit wrote:Long time no see WA, yeah me and Min are still trying to keep 'em all in line. Nic to see you back, and ignore Min, congratulations!
Charlie took umbrage at Rokcet Scientist, he wasn't the only one I might add, and is no longer with us but much missed.

Roy.
Yes - I remember the thing about the avatars - wasn't sure if anyone was still in touch with him.

Quite near Austin now as it happens, so I'll keep my eyes open.

Marriage is good, it's getting the stepson down off the ceiling that's exhausting.