THE CLUB?

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

fossiltrader

THE CLUB?

Post by fossiltrader »

Saw this written a few times what exactly is the club?????
Please dont tell me it some conspiracy theory stuff lol.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

My euphemism for the annoying tendency of many academics to resist changes to the theories that earned them their PH Ds.

Most noticeble on this side of the pond by the Clovis-first mentality.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Some people just can't except "changes."
I have a geology professor who is from the "Old School."
To this day he still does not except the Theory of Plate Tectonics.
:?
fossiltrader

thanks

Post by fossiltrader »

Thank you now i get it i am afraid i never had a good relationship with my lecturers most appeared to be stuck in the past sadly their version of the past.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There you go, Terry. That definition is as good as any.

I recall arguing with a former Club-wannabe who shall remain nameless about "Atlantis". I do not believe in the Atlantis tale. It is a Greek morality play from the 4th century BC. I think those who go looking for it are misguided but...

a- It costs me nothing for them to look.
b- I don't have to read about them or their theories if I don't want to.
c- While hunting for Atlantis they may find something else that is really useful, and
d- Their hunting for Atlantis does not limit the ability of other scholars to pursue their own goals.

So, it is mystifying why the Club and its henchmen get so worked up about Atlantis. What are they afraid of?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Atlantis

Post by Cognito »

So, it is mystifying why the Club and its henchmen get so worked up about Atlantis. What are they afraid of?
They are afraid something real might pop up along the way that will upset their apple cart. How dare you look for ancient traces of a pre-flood culture ... you don't have the credentials that I do! :evil:

By the way, don't waste too much time looking for Atlantis because it isn't there ... wherever you may think "there" might be. 8)
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I fear you are exactly right, Cogs.

When I was taking Roman History back in the 60's my professor commented on excavations that were just beginning near Pompeii. Someone in the class speculated on the possibility of finding a library.
He agreed that it would be wonderful but said that he had a colleague who taught Classical Literature who though such a find would be terrible because he would have to learn so much more in order to teach his class.

I always thought that seemed like a strange attitude for a scholar.

-- George Carlin
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Back in the late fifties you could get a failing grade the second week of the semester if you so much as hinted that Clovis might not be the first. Maybe it will take a couple more generations before professors have "evolved" beyond that mind set. As soon as you can get some that haven't been taught by the old school, maybe they will accept the idea that even students can have a different view of an old thought.
Digit

Post by Digit »

The trouble with the club Leona is that it is self perpetuating. Each new generation digs itself in and defends its dogma.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hardaker definitely gave some examples of that in his book, Leona. But the internet is changing things.

They no longer have the control of information that they used to.

-- George Carlin
Charlie Hatchett

Post by Charlie Hatchett »

They no longer have the control of information that they used to.
Amen. :roll:
Charlie Hatchett

PreClovis Artifacts from Central Texas
www.preclovis.com
http://forum.preclovis.com