Rokcet Scientist

Major Viking Warship Voyage Retraced

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Thursday, 28 June 2007, 16:39 GMT 17:39 UK

The return of the Viking warship
By James Gray & Nathan Williams
BBC Timewatch

The Viking warship was a high point of boat-building technique
On Sunday, 65 men and women will embark on one of the most ambitious, dangerous and important experimental archaeology projects ever undertaken.

They will attempt to sail a reconstructed Viking warship from Roskilde, Denmark, to Dublin, across some of the roughest seas in the world.

The ship, the Sea Stallion from Glendalough, is the most authentic Viking warship built in nine centuries. It's based on the largest of five ships that were excavated from the bottom of Roskilde fjord in 1962, opposite the small village of Skuldelev.

[...]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6248978.stm#map

Follow this link for more about the voyage and how to track the ship's progress live: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes ... ndex.shtml
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

This wasn't the one that our friend, Pippin, was on...was it?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:This wasn't the one that our friend, Pippin, was on...was it?
This one is supposed to have set sail today: Sunday. And, indeed, the reported position shows them 60 miles offshore.
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Hi

No im not on the ship, becourse om wife got pregnant and i expecting my second child in less than a month, but im still hopng to be part of the returnvoyage next summer.

I was at the museum when the ship sailed and followed it some of the way in a smaller Longship.

Pippin
Digit

Post by Digit »

If you get any information in the future Pip keep us informed please.