European Origins

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

daybrown

Post by daybrown »

Well Ok, Erectus has 75% of the cranial capacity, ergo 75 IQ on average. But just like us, there are some that are at say 150 IQ, so there'd be some of them at 112 IQ, smart enuf to figure out a boat.

You only need one Newton.
Any god watching me hasta be bored, and needs to get a life.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Spot on there DB! It may be unwelcome news to many but let's be honest about it, 99.9999% of us create damn all!
Progress, in what ever form you wish, is down to just a few people in each generation.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You only need one Newton.

Or one Bush. :cry:
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Minimalist wrote:And...on the land route....

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/901351.html
The artifacts found in the area of the cave are indicative of behavior patterns of humans who lived about 250,000 years ago, at the time of the Mousterian culture of Neanderthals in Europe.

So far studies have shown the tools of modern man in a much later period, about 170,000 years ago, in Ethiopia. The new findings are of great importance, connecting the earliest modern man to the Carmel Mountains man.

About 2 million years ago, with the movement of Homo erectus ("upright man") to Europe, Neanderthal man, a new species, developed. Prof. Israel Hershkovitz, of the Department of Anatomy and Anthropology at Tel Aviv University and a codirector of the excavations, says Neanderthals were stockier than modern man, with a larger skull and more massive limbs. Another species that developed from Homo erectus from Africa was Homo sapiens ("thinking man") or us. His skull and other physical dimensions were smaller and finer than those of Neanderthal man.
Min, we didn't get an opportunity to discuss this link. Tomorrow, maybe, I'd like to get it in the Neanderthal thread. Good article.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Fair enough. I'll be around.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I regret that I have to disagree with DB on one point though. 75% cranial capacity = 75% IQ. Not a chance, you have people with no obvious brain damage or reduced brain size who are technically idiots.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

Missing from the equation is white matter, which seems to be there as a buffer against impact. We have no way of knowing how much Erectus or Neanderthal had. I've read that smarter people have higher ratios of gray to white matter.

I remember what we usta call 'water brains', now hydroencephalics, who had enormous heads, but less gray matter. retards.

But whatever the average IQ of Erectus & Neanderthal was, seems reasonable to assume they had bell curves just like we do. It makes you wonder how much genius was lost.
Any god watching me hasta be bored, and needs to get a life.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

This is the first part of the first sentance in the sixth parragraph

More contentiously, Robert Bednarik is convinced that Upright Man ushered in the dawn of trans-ocean travel between 900,000 and 800,000 years ago as part of a wider revolution,

"trans-ocean" means across the ocean, dosn't it?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

trans-ocean" means across the ocean, dosn't it?
Sure does KB.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Wanna start here, Beags?
"Still," says Hershkovitz, "it is possible that the final development of Homo sapiens happened here, in Israel, outside Africa. If a modern Homo sapiens is found in the layers from 250,000 years ago, he will belong to one of the earliest Homo sapiens population in the world, and possibly the earliest. Then all the theories of the development of modern man will have to be reexamined."

That will upset the OOA crowd!

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I'm still waiting for the experts to tell me where Erectus ends and HSS begins. The size of crania is a purely arbitary measurement that has changed in the past anyway.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Wanna start here, Beags?
Min, I reposted that link in the Neanderthal thread. Sorry for any confusion.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'm still waiting for the experts to tell me where Erectus ends and HSS begins. The size of crania is a purely arbitary measurement that has changed in the past anyway.
It's all so confusing now that many experts don't believe the HS evolved directly from Erectus. So we all may have to wait for a long time.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yeah, Homo Ergaster is creeping in I hear. That just moves the problem of distinguishing one from another one pace further back!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Yeah, Dig, it all looks like scrambled egg right now, and when you throw in all the recent observations about ancient seafaring, the peopling of the americas, and their precious out of africa theory falling apart, they'll all be in the looney bin. :lol: