And now Vermont, weighs in.

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

If Solutrean HSS could trek west to NA across the Atlantic ice pack during the height of the Wisconsin/Würm ice age,
If!?
PALEOANTHROPOLOGY:
Ancient Island Tools Suggest Homo erectus Was a Seafarer
Ann Gibbons
Most researchers have believed that Homo erectus lacked the social and linguistic skills to pilot the deep, fast-moving waters that separate most Asian and Australian faunas, but in this week's issue of Nature, an international team presents new dates for stone tools from the Indonesian island of Flores that confirm H. erectus's presence there 800,000 years ago. Although most researchers accept the new dates for the artifacts, questions linger about whether they are really tools, and researchers are sharply divided over the team's proposition that H. erectus used rafts and may have had language. But if H. erectus did indeed arrive on Flores by boat, it would mean that their cognitive abilities would be up for reappraisal and that the species was more adaptable than is commonly believed.
He didn't trek there either RS.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/html/yamalcu.html

The Yamal culture is a fine representation of "thought" toward early Pre-Clovis people, migrating between Siberia and Northern North America by both sea and land, depending on what the environment required at the time. With change of the environment and time, moving down the coast
lines or into the interior of the continent with animal migration and big game hunting. Maritime ecological existience was the first and the preferred for the early nomatic. The maritime ecology seems to always be the riches. Perhaps some DNA studies of these people would be interesting for comparison, don't you think?

http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/html/yamalun.html

CHEERS ... :wink:
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:
If Solutrean HSS could trek west to NA across the Atlantic ice pack during the height of the Wisconsin/Würm ice age,
If!?
PALEOANTHROPOLOGY:
Ancient Island Tools Suggest Homo erectus Was a Seafarer
Ann Gibbons
Most researchers have believed that Homo erectus lacked the social and linguistic skills to pilot the deep, fast-moving waters that separate most Asian and Australian faunas, but in this week's issue of Nature, an international team presents new dates for stone tools from the Indonesian island of Flores that confirm H. erectus's presence there 800,000 years ago. Although most researchers accept the new dates for the artifacts, questions linger about whether they are really tools, and researchers are sharply divided over the team's proposition that H. erectus used rafts and may have had language. But if H. erectus did indeed arrive on Flores by boat, it would mean that their cognitive abilities would be up for reappraisal and that the species was more adaptable than is commonly believed.
He didn't trek there either RS.
That's quite a stark position against the background of all those doubts, Digit. I choose for the simplest solution: sea levels were 400 to 600 feet lower, so what are islands today were 'merged' then, so you could simply walk from one to the other. And eventually to Oz too.
Doesn't require their cognitive abilities to be reappraised either, nor would they have had to be "more adaptable than is commonly believed".
Imo, an altogether simpler, and therefore more logical and more plausible scenario.
Digit

Post by Digit »

If Oz was reachable on foot then you have to explain why only man and canis walked there either from the north or Oz fuana the other way.
If you can explain that then I'll be converted RS, sorry.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
clubs_stink

Post by clubs_stink »

I noticed upon reading the article about Vermont that there was mention of a "clear" point. There was no photo thus I am merely guessing that they meant an "arrowhead" that was made of a clear type material?

Is this significant? I've actually seen a photo of a "clear" point found by a casual point hunter in another area (I think) I will have to go and search out this find again...

Does anyone else have any ideas what they meant by "clear" point???
clubs_stink

Post by clubs_stink »

Digit

Post by Digit »

And I'll probably upset certain people by saying that, IMO, that finish has gone way past mere function, it's almost a work of art.
clubs_stink

Post by clubs_stink »

I knew I'd seen more than one or two of these,

here's another one at 5:50 into the video, completely see through.

http://www.youtube.com/scdigger

I wish the vermont article had at least included a photo.
clubs_stink

Post by clubs_stink »

Now this is an odd find...in texas.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/ ... 805.0.html
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Even today, Digit, weapons or hunting guns, as art, are not all that uncommon.
For some reason, Italian shotguns seem to be the top of the list.
I can imagine these guys having the same personality traits as modern hunters or even tradesmen. For some their weapons or tools are just a means to an end. It is the end result that is important. For others, they become the end.
I have seen tool museums and even entire workshops full of tools "Too pretty to use"
But, even if you use it, there is nothing wrong with haveing pretty stuff.
There is evident pride of workmenship there.
Digit

Post by Digit »

There is evident pride of workmenship there.
Absolutely!
clubs_stink

Post by clubs_stink »

What I am interested in is their mentioning of the clear arrowhead in relationship to dating the site...did I misunderstand it?
The colorado clear is spectacular and found very far away from VT...they made it sound as if that point was in some way unique.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The apparent ease of making a sharp edge (find two of the right stones and smack them together) as I did when I visited Charlie in Texas merely means that common tools could be made on the spot, used and discarded.

But spear and arrow points show evidence of a much higher level of workmanship and I can see early man sitting around his night time fires carefully tapping away at a clovis point to get it just right.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Absolutely Min. In the UK there was a law at one time that anything discussed around the blacksmith's forge could not be used in a court of law. I'm not kidding!
The blacksmith's was a recognised meeting place, nice and warm, good company, how better to spend the evening. Isn't that what we are doing? Somethings don't change.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The Department of Homeland Security would not approve of such a law.... unless they could put someone's hand in the fire and torture a confession out of them!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin