Abora 3 Experiment Ends Safely

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Sam Salmon

Abora 3 Experiment Ends Safely

Post by Sam Salmon »

Well the Abora 3 expedition has come to a close with no loss of life and some data to be studied, it was a gutsy idea.From the site diary

day 56 - September 4th, 2007

The ABORA III concludes its journey.
After sailing more than 2000 nautical miles across the Atlantic aboard the reed boat ABORA III, Dominique Görlitz has called an end to his archaeological experiment. He and his crew of 10 set out from New York City harbour on July 11, and spent 56 days at sea. A series of storms and gale-force winds broke the boat apart a week ago, providing a challenging learning opportunity for the scientist and his crew. Although they did not reach the Azores, Görlitz sees the project as a success.

"We have collected a large bank of empirical data and hands-on experiences that further help us to understand pre-historic seafaring and trade. Our trip has not been easy, and in the end a gale broke the make-shift rudder that we were forced to craft after an earlier storm stole my stern and damaged the original twin rudders. The incident gave us an understanding of how ancient sailors could have coped with such dramatic challenges, but now, unable to craft a new rudder due to lack of spare parts we have chosen to accept assistance from another ship." stated Görlitz.

Working on his Ph.D. in botany, Görlitz towed bags of seeds behind his vessel. He intends to examine them with a team of scientists at the University of Bonn and the Institute for Plant Research and Genetics at Gatersleben. Traces of two new world plants, tobacco and coca, have been found in the mummy of Ramses II. If seeds from these plants cannot germinate after floating across the Atalntic, then it would suggest that they were brought back by trans-Atlantic seafarers.

On Wednesday the crew dismantled the boat, taking off all equipment as well as pieces of the boat for exhibition purposes. They boarded the sailboat, which originally was chartered to bring a ZDF camera crew to film the ABORA III.

The ABORA III was also a social experiment of sorts, bringing together 11 people from four nations ranging in age from 21 to 63. The team exhibited strong teamwork during times of treacherous seas as well as during times of calm.

"Observing the individuals grow together as a crew was a pleasant experience, and I am also proud to have been able to provide them with a lifelong experience." said Görlitz.

The ABORA III team will arrive in Horta, Fajal, Azores at around 5:00 pm on Tuesday September, 11th.

The ABORA III is the prehistoric reed boat skippered by botanist Dominique Görlitz. Based on the expedition, Mr. Görlitz is investigating the need to re-write naval history in his Ph.D. at the University of Bonn, Germany. His thesis is that intercontinental journeys happened thousands of years before both Columbus and the Vikings.

http://www.abora3.de/english/index_e.html
Digit

Post by Digit »

That's what I call practical Archaeology!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Didn't Thor Heyerdahl already make that point decades ago? A number of times?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Heyerdahl went from east to west. We know that can be done. This fellow is trying to prove that the return journey can be made. The currents and the wind are a bit more treacherous and requires a sail.

I'm sorry to see that he didn't make it. I hope he tries again. I notice that he is also trying to prove the "Case of the Cocaine Mummies" :lol: . That's great.
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Hi

I can se on th emap on the homepage that he is reletively close to some islands, but he end the expedition about half the way between the continents.

http://www.abora3.de/index-eng.html (click on Abora III live)

Kim
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Very nice link. Thanks Pippin.