Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

So, the Obnoxious Kid in Jurassic Park

Post by Minimalist »

was right after all when called velociraptor a "turkey."

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200709 ... BB6O0.html
WASHINGTON (AP) - Velociraptor, the terrifying predator made famous in the movie "Jurassic Park," appears to have had feathers in real life.

A close study of a velociraptor forearm found in Mongolia shows the presence of quill knobs, bumps on the bone where the feathers anchor, researchers report in Friday's edition of the journal Science.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

And finally....the proof. Other dino's besides the 'raptor have been thought to have feathers also. I can't remember which ones though.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

I'd speculate the fast runners had them. The Road Runner is simply a 21st century AD velociraptor!

And if Velociraptors are still among us. Why not HE and HSS?
Digit

Post by Digit »

T Rex is believed to have been covered in soft feathers, I suspect that RS is right, so much for the cold blooded lumbering lizard look-a-likes.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:T Rex is believed to have been covered in soft feathers, I suspect that RS is right, so much for the cold blooded lumbering lizard look-a-likes.
I believe T.Rex' physical mechanics were simulated recently and researchers couldn't see a way for him to be 'fast'. His bulk and mass were in the way. So, for now, despite perhaps even having been covered in soft feathers, T.Rex indeed was a "lumbering lizard look-a-like".
So he looked like a cross between Godzilla and Big Bird . . .

8)
Digit

Post by Digit »

He didn't have to be fast RS, just faster than his prey, and I'll bet he could out run the big 'uns.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:He didn't have to be fast RS, just faster than his prey, and I'll bet he could out run the big 'uns.
Research indicates the opposite, Dig. He was slower than most of the quadrupeds he fed on. He couldn't catch 'm. Alive. So he caught 'm dead. He was a carrion eater. Not much of a fighter.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I doubt that evolution would select for such a limited beast and put him at the top of the food chain.

Like modern predators, he probably did both. Like modern predators it was probably the sick, the old and the young who represented the majority of his victims.

Velociraptor was a pack hunter. So are lions. Who is to say that T-Rex wasn't as well?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:
Velociraptor was a pack hunter. So are lions. Who is to say that T-Rex wasn't as well?
Because of his size he couldn't blend into the landscape. Because of his bulk/weight he was slow. Those 2 'limitations' alone make T.Rex singularly unsuitable to hunting. He couldn't surprise prey from an ambush, nor run him down in a chase. So he wasn't a hunter. Like a 300 pound guy dancing a tutu solo in a classical ballet. It simply doesn't work.
So, sure, maybe he operated in packs. But not as hunters. He stank at hunting.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Digit

Post by Digit »

T Rex apparently was a pack hunter Min. A TV programme over here showed a bone bed in the US of a herd containing animals of all ages.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The trouble with using computer programs to demonstrate things is that they always seem to reflect the built-in biases of the programmer.

I have seen something similar, Dig. T-Rex behavior is far more complex than originally believed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/s ... /5560/1620

According to a new biomechanical model, a 6000-kilogram Tyrannosaurus could not have packed enough muscle into its legs to reach 72 kilometers per hour, as had previously been argued; its top running speed was about 40 km/h. Although the finding, published in the 28 February issue of Nature, doesn't change ideas about Tyrannosaurus's hunting ability, paleontologists say the study sets a new standard for biomechanical analysis of an extinct organism.

Read the Full Text
40km/hr. is about 25 mph. So no real speed demon. This paper is 5 yrs. old, so maybe something newer is out.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I can't run 25 mph.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

:lol:

I can't either. Cogs is the only one that wouldn't be a T-rex meal.
Rokcet Scientist

You could see T.Rex comin' from a mile away!
And hear him from three miles away!
The MF was twice the size of a bull African savannah elephant!