Forget global warming - look at root causes

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

Or one power surge from disaster, imaging new York, or any major city now without its computers.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

Thats another reason I use Linux Digit. I've been online for nearly 25 years and remember programmers bitching about Microsoft ripping off their work, and how they began putting 'back doors' in it, sabotage, if you will, that gets stolen along with the rest of their work.

And its one of the reasons I work in assembly. You cant alter a single byte without it crashing. Also one of the reasons for http://www.dc-pc.org/ which is an ongoing back burner project where I test motherboard & CPU conbinations looking for the most functionality on the fewest watts so that back-up batteries can provide the longest run time. So- I'm not a fan of Intel either. Their chips suck, and suck a lotta watts.

While there certainly is a risk of power grid breakdown or some kind of massive crash of all Microsoft operating systems, the somewhat more likely effect of global warming & climate change will be to make the poor poorer, with marginal economies going into total collapse. So long as the resulting violence does not interfere with a critical resource supply like oil, the western economies will keep on.

then too, how do you evaluate the risk of some pandemic, which has been locked in a glacier uncounted millennia, suddenly being released into the modern environment by the melting? I spoze they'll find more like the Zarkov mammoth, but I would not go near that stuff without a haz mat suit.
Any god watching me hasta be bored, and needs to get a life.