The Tower of Babel

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Ishtar wrote:Has that Sumerian Kings List been verified, Monk? The last one I saw was put together by a certain Stevie (the one you mentioned earlier, I think) and I'm not sure if it stands up.
The evidence of the list is verified on several sources and extant texts of the time. So, I would say, yes the lists are verified as much as possible within the current context of artifacts. I did not agree with Steve that the kings list should be interpreted in sequential order as I pointed out several places where the dynasties actually ran concurrently or overlapped by a century or so. I do think his assessment of the unusually long regnal years is correct and has been verified by others as well. It was simply a misinterpretation of the sexegismal vs. decimal systems by later transcribers.

As for the Nimrod identification. I have looked deeply into the ancient mythologies and their correspondence to the lists as well as the research of very many individuals with a myriad of agendas and nothing seems to hold up which links these kings to Biblical kings of Mesopotamia, such as Nimrod, Amraphel and Chedorlaomer. I do think there are some interesting ideas out there, just nothing conclusive yet.
Digit

Post by Digit »

By the way Ishtar, try not to mention Stevie again, some members of the forum have weak hearts! :lol:
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Oh, but Dig....Stephen was never here. Try to imagine an intellectually circumcised brain (much like Arch) but even less eloquent than Arch.

That will give you some idea!

BTW, Arch is in big trouble at a place called "Koreabridge" because he won't give a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer to this question: "Should convicted and released paedophiles be permitted to work with children."

One member has this line in his signature to keep banging home the point.

Despite numerous requests, Archaeologist has not stated that a released convicted paedophile should not be permitted to work with children.

Oh, man....those were the good old days. Where is Jean Marie, now?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Minimalist wrote:........

Soooo I should let Arch back in for your amusement??? :wink: :lol:
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

I used to quite enjoy my little run-ins with Stevie-boy. It used to quite liven up my day!

By the way, we went through a brief period of truce (mainly because he wanted my expertise on the whole Indian thing) and before we fell out again, I put together an Indian kings list to see where it tied in with the Sumerian one.

The thinking behind this was that "India" used to cover a much larger area called Bharata-varsa which stretched as far as Sumeria (which, as I'm sure most people know wasn't called that then. "Sumeria" is a relatively recent name). Anyway, I digress. The point is, both Steve and I reckoned, from these lists, that Sumeria and Bharata-varsha (India) had some kings in common.

There is a story in the Indian Srimad Bhagavatham about a king called Purusharama (Rama with an axe) who went round conquering all over the place, and we reckoned one of the Sumerian kings could have been him. On the other hand, the whole thing could have been metaphor or an allegorical story, as could the Sumerian king lists.
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

MichelleH wrote:

Yes please, Michelle! My interest is quite piqued now! :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

MichelleH wrote:

It's worth considering....but he'd piss everyone else off in short order. Ishtar excepted, of course.

Maybe we should have ANOTHER poll?

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

It's worth considering....but he'd piss everyone else off in short order. Ishtar excepted, of course.

I think not.....I do not want to deal with another 3 months of annoying, whining e-mails on how evil I am.....
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Ishtar wrote:I put together an Indian kings list to see where it tied in with the Sumerian one.
I have collected kings lists from around the world going from the most ancient to recent times. It is an odd little hobby of mine. I have seen some fairly extensive lists of kings of India, some very well dated. I would be interested in peeking at your collection.

I think there could be some correspondence between Sumerian (from Sumer - not Sumeria - actually Mesopotamian) kings and Indian kings but I have not looked into it deeply. Often the epigraphical evidence coupled with legends and tales enable one to find uncanny similarities. This usually means either the kings were the same person or the stories had a common source.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

MichelleH wrote:

I think not.....I do not want to deal with another 3 months of annoying, whining e-mails on how evil I am.....

I can see your point.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

From the moment I joined the forum me and Steve tended to be at loggerheads, particularly as he once described me as a racist. The word bothers me not at all, but as a member of a monority group myself, and being factually accurate in my comments, I was damned annoyed. And his language, Ishtar was not infrequently, very immoderate!
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Forum Monk wrote:
I have collected kings lists from around the world going from the most ancient to recent times. It is an odd little hobby of mine. I have seen some fairly extensive lists of kings of India, some very well dated. I would be interested in peeking at your collection.
Shall we start a thread on it?
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Digit wrote:From the moment I joined the forum me and Steve tended to be at loggerheads, particularly as he once described me as a racist. The word bothers me not at all, but as a member of a monority group myself, and being factually accurate in my comments, I was damned annoyed. And his language, Ishtar was not infrequently, very immoderate!
Digit - I have first hand knowledge of what you speak!

He only attacks people when he's feels threatened by them or their superior expertise on a subject, and he often has an unerring eye for their weak spot.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I think you are speaking of the other "Steve."

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Minimalist wrote:I think you are speaking of the other "Steve."
Oh...there's more than one? :shock: