Pictures from Corinth

Have you been to great ancient site? Show us here and tell us about your experience!

To that end, Photobucket.com has a new feature called the "Bulk Uploader" which allows you to go through an entire directory and select which photos you wish to upload by thumbnail instead of having to individually select them. It makes the process infinitely faster and simpler.

(And Photobucket is a free service.)

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Pictures from Corinth

Post by Minimalist »

This will be the Roman City re-built by Julius Caesar in 44 BC after the destruction of the Greek town by the Consul Lucius Mummius in 146 BC.
(Mummius' message to the Greeks was simple: "Enough of your bullshit...we are now in charge!) As was pointed out Mummius did not destroy the Temple of Apollo but did fairly well level the rest of the town.)
Caesar, though, apparently recognized that the location was just to good to pass up and so, like the other two cities the Romans destroyed, Carthage and Jerusalem, they re-cycled the sites. Always pragmatic, those Romans.

Anyway, this was our first view of the site from a distance.

There is a Byzantine fort on top of the mountain, which looked to be 1,000 feet high. I can't imagine it serving any military purpose. I could blockade the only road down with a troop of boyscouts!
Last edited by Minimalist on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The aforementioned ruins of the Temple of Apollo. Apparently in all Greek towns the religious centers were put on the highest spot. An earthquake brought it down along with most of the city.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

A couple of the better shots I got from the on-site museum, including a famous bust of the city's benefactor, which I had seen before but did not know it was from Corinth.

Just a sampling. The museum had a lot of artifacts that had been dug out... including some Greek archaic period stuff that Mummius missed.
Last edited by Minimalist on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Leaving the museum we walked out into the next "level" down, which would have been the official buildings. This facade is presumed to be part of the basilica.

The rostra where the Praefect or Procurator would have held court. As the story goes, St Paul was hauled before this spot before he was run out of town if you believe the Book of Acts.

A long view of the ruins of the commercial/government area. Obviously, the archaeologists have fully excavated this part which means that anything interesting has been removed to the museums.

Conned one of our group into taking a picture of us just to prove we were there. That's the forum/agora in the background.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Another shot of the rostra.

As is customary, the buildings were made of local limestone and then faced with marble. A sample of the technique can be seen on the lower corner.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Shooting down from the forum to the next level, which would have been residential. They are still working here...in fact...most of the town remains unexcavated. They are buying up land from locals to extend the excavations which will keep them busy for generations.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

My two best shots of the Temple of Apollo.

First from the west and then walking around to get a shot from the east. As with all Greek temples, the front would have been facing east to catch the morning sun.

Next, when I work up the energy to post more shots to photobucket will be the Ruins of Athens....to steal a line from Beethoven.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Great pictures, Min. Looks like you had quite a trip.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Indeed. I'm just getting over the jet lag now.

:shock:

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Aw man! Slides from your vacation! JK, Bob. I wish I had been there too. You got some great shots. I bet ya'll had a blast!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hey, Frank! How the hell are you?

Getting into any more trouble?

-- George Carlin
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Trouble? Me? I'm just trying to keep a low profile.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Good idea!

-- George Carlin