Tunguska Blast Crater Found

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Oh boy!
This is the first I have heard of the Tesla connection.
A death ray bouncing off the ionosphere?
And the timing is just close enough.
Was this the same time frame as Edgar Rice Burroughs writing his "War Lords of Mars" series.
There was some kind or transportation beam that sent the hero back and forth from Earth to Mars.
Forgive me. It was a long time ago...
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

OK. I'll admit it. I'm a shill for the possible effects of meteor/asteroid impacts on the evolution of life in general and I'm really curious about the effect such events may have had on human history. We're only just starting to appreciate the influence of impacts because they happen so infrequently in terms of lifetimes or even in recorded history but it is an active, ongoing process. Here's an article about the frequency of recorded impacts on Mars since our probes have started photgraphing that planets surface. I'm likin' our relatively thick atmosphere more all the time.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236099,00.html
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Amen.
Better a high up shooting star than a big hole next door.
12 times a year?
And some release water?
Digit

Post by Digit »

It has been suggested KB that our oceans were deposited by numerous comet impacts millions of years ago. Mind you, till some one examines the inside of a comet, Whipple's 'dirty snowball remains a good idea.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Mayonaze

Post by Mayonaze »

More on the Tunguska "crater discovery". Interesting links to sonar and ground penetrating radar images.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... rater.html
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Mayo. Nice to see our NASA tax dollars at work too.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'll wait to read their published results but I'm skeptical. The largest bang in known history and all it produces is 1 low velocity impact crater?

Besides, as I said, Lake Cheko was known to the locals before the event.
"The company of seekers of truth is preferable to the company of those who are certain they have found it."