Gene study supports single main migration across Bering

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Permission granted.

:lol:
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

kbs2244 wrote:None of them supply the kind of moral compass I would want for my kids and grand kids.
I guess age and experience does change your prospective.
As we have mentioned n other threads, there may be some things you would rather not know, and some experiences you wouldn’t what your worst enemy to have.
Jeez......!

Thanks KB. Up until now, I didn't think there was anything wrong with my moral compass.

Still...I expect it would explain a lot. :?

But what I meant with some of them - e.g. Bonfire of the Vanities - is that they are incredibly formative books that serve as a warning, not as a role model.

The books I chose are written by incredibly brilliant writers who have enough poetry in their souls to be able to break down our psychic barriers and hold up a very potent mirror to us all, to show us where we're at as a society - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is another prime example of that.

Sometimes, that's far more effective and life changing on a deep cellular level than something like the Ten Commandments.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The books I chose are written by incredibly brilliant writers who have enough poetry in their souls to be able to break down our psychic barriers

I noticed that Fanny Hill didn't make your list. That was a big one when I was growing up.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Ah...was that a formative book for you, Min? Did you find stimulating and uplifting? :lol:
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Anyway. back to a fresh water flood a long time ago.
It did not seem to have a very long impact.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Or was that another thread?
After being out of the loop for so long, I am confused!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Ishtar wrote:Ah...was that a formative book for you, Min? Did you find stimulating and uplifting? :lol:

Yes. Yes.

-- George Carlin
zale

red ochre from the time of adam

Post by zale »

About red ochre:Is it a coincidence that Adam means in Hebrew red?

To quote Josephus:"This man was called Adam, which in the Hebrew tongue signifies one that is red, because he was formed out of red earth, compounded together; for of that kind is virgin and true earth"
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_ochre
The clay used to produce red ochre is thought to be the "red earth" from which God created Adam in the Book of Genesis. In fact, the etymology of the name "Adam" is ancient Hebrew for "man of red earth."[citation needed] Red ochre can be found in great quantities in the mountains rimming the river basin where archeologists place the biblical Garden of Eden[citation needed], now in modern day Iraq[citation needed]. For the early writers of the Christian Bible, one can imagine the vibrant red color of this natural clay evoking the color of human blood[
The connection with blood may have been around a lot longer than the Bible. :wink:
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Is there a red ocher source near Caral?
It’s age and location bring up the question of diffusion along the sea currents from the Western Hemisphere to the Eastern, instead of the traditional view of Eastern Hemisphere to Western.
The crescent may have been fertile, but was it original?
Was Adam from Peru?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I thought "Adam" meant "man" in Hebrew?

-- George Carlin
john

Post by john »

Beagle wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_ochre
The clay used to produce red ochre is thought to be the "red earth" from which God created Adam in the Book of Genesis. In fact, the etymology of the name "Adam" is ancient Hebrew for "man of red earth."[citation needed] Red ochre can be found in great quantities in the mountains rimming the river basin where archeologists place the biblical Garden of Eden[citation needed], now in modern day Iraq[citation needed]. For the early writers of the Christian Bible, one can imagine the vibrant red color of this natural clay evoking the color of human blood[
The connection with blood may have been around a lot longer than the Bible. :wink:

Beagle -

Simply can't resist the double pull of red dirt and the palindrome.

"Madam, I'm Adam."

How could either exist without cognition?

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain