Mammoth Carcass Arrives in Japan

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Mammoth Carcass Arrives in Japan

Post by Minimalist »

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200712 ... 4ST80.html
The frozen carcass of a 37,000-year-old baby mammoth unearthed this summer in Siberia arrived in Japan on Saturday for tests that researchers hope will shed new light on the internal structure of the ancient beasts, an official said.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

It's a relatively short journey from Japan to Korea! So maybe they're gonna try to extract that baby mammoth's DNA and clone it, and try to develop it into a "Pleistocene Park" with a roaming mammoth herd?

And then they'll get filthily rich and stupid tycoons to pay for hunting and killing one – just like they do with the last 350 Siberian tigers (US$ 300,000 per head; literally!) – because a mammoth head makes a nice wall trophy in an absurdly grand Dubai or Texas palace villa of course.

BTW, and FYI: lion are cheaper. Only 200,000 per! A steal!
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

It is an old debate.
One they spent a lot of tears over in the Africia parks.
No money vs the money hunting brings in.
If you get to the point you feel you can reliabily reprooduce a mammoth, and then if someone offers you $1,000,000 so he can hang a mammoth head on his den wall, do you accept it what kind of reasearch you can do with the $1,000,000?
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

kbs2244 wrote:It is an old debate.
what kind of reasearch you can do with the $1,000,000?
Research into why humans feel the need to kill animals?
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Ishtar wrote:Research into why humans feel the need to kill animals?
For food I can understand.
For fun I cannot.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Dick Cheney likes to shoot tiny, flightless, birds with a shotgun. Then again, who wants Cheney as a role model?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin