pre- pre- pre- Clovis

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

dannan14

pre- pre- pre- Clovis

Post by dannan14 »

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat ... 5084293699

From the news page:
“Topper, which was higher up, was high and dry and was the only choice. I remember it broke my heart at the time to leave behind a site I thought was the best we’d find. I remember thinking ‘OK, I guess we have to go to Topper.’”

What his team found that year and every year since has made it, arguably, the most important archaeological site in North America, with radiocarbon dating verifying human habitation at around 50,000 years ago — the oldest ever found.

And the site isn’t just for archaeologists: It is open for a dig now through June 7, and volunteers can sign up to help by visiting allendale-expedition.net. The dig will focus on both the 50,000 year-old level and a massive new Clovis area discovered in 2004.

Because of Topper and a handful of other sites, in a matter of 10 years everything scholars thought they knew about who the first Americans were, where they came from and when was wrong. Not just by a little, but by nearly 40,000 years.
Wow this one is amazing. i suppose we should expect the Club to issue a deafening silence?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Wait till Beags checks in. He was at Topper last year.

And yes....the Club is none too happy with Professor Goodyear.

:lol:
Last edited by Minimalist on Thu May 15, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

with radiocarbon dating verifying human habitation at around 50,000 years ago

That is, of course, the upper limit for C14 due to the half life. The site could be older...like, dare I say, Valsequillo?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Yeah, the name 'Topper' was immediately familiar to me. Has it been mentioned in thread's about Charlie's site?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Michelle,

Can we get this one moved from the Archives to the New (Very New) World forum and re-opened.

http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewt ... ght=topper

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

You're wish is my command. Done!
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You're on the ball today, boss!

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

That's a really good article on Topper. There is so much to say about it, but this reporter did it well.

Not only the archaeology of the site but the comet theory as well. I hope Al and the crew make some good finds this year, and post it on the 'net.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

“Boats were the key,” Stanford says. “People say, ‘Well, why aren’t we finding evidence of ancient boats and settlements?’ That’s because those coastal settlements are now under hundreds of feet of water because ancient sea levels were much lower. In the time period we’re talking about, the coasts were up to 60-70 miles out to sea from where they are now.

Stanford is so cool. Ancient Boats don't bother him one bit!

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Stanford is so cool.
And logical!