IAA announces Upper Paleolithic Cave

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

IAA announces Upper Paleolithic Cave

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Israel+beyond ... y-2008.htm
Prehistoric cave uncovered in Western Galilee

22 May 2008
A stalactite cave containing prehistoric remains was exposed in the Western Galilee. Among the artifacts found are flint implements and the bones of animals that have long since become extinct from ‎the country’s landscape

Seems to date from the 40,000 BC era.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

It looks like this is a newly discovered pristine cave. I expect that it will be years before much is reported on it. Peeling back the layers of a new human occupation site will hopefully provide some serious answers. Given it's location in the Levant, where no archaeological evidence exists for human migration out of Africa ca 50,000ya will be very helpful.

I'm hoping for Neanderthal burial. 8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That would be cool.....I'm hoping for a hybrid skull.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Even better. :wink:

OT - I thought you'd be watching the hockey game.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yankees are on right now....I'll catch the 3'd period.

I'm pretty fed up with the NHL and NBC shoving Sidney Goddamn Crosby down everyone's throat all the time.

The guy is not the next Gretzky.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=58 ... =351020105
Iranian and Belgian archeologists have found Neolithic stone tools in Iran's Yafteh Cave located in the western Luristan Province.

The tools and other remains found in the cave's late Ice Age sediments show that Persian Neolithics were very similar to their European peers.

Radiocarbon dating carried out during the second phase of archeological studies showed that Yafteh Cave dates back to over 35000 years ago.

Previous archeological studies had yielded decorative beads, two pierced shells, two deer teeth and a piece of Hematite, which were possibly used as pendants.

Archeologists believe these ornamental objects are the oldest of their kind to have ever been found in Iran.
HNS or HSS? One can only wonder.

-- George Carlin
john

Post by john »

Minimalist wrote:http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=58 ... =351020105
Iranian and Belgian archeologists have found Neolithic stone tools in Iran's Yafteh Cave located in the western Luristan Province.

The tools and other remains found in the cave's late Ice Age sediments show that Persian Neolithics were very similar to their European peers.

Radiocarbon dating carried out during the second phase of archeological studies showed that Yafteh Cave dates back to over 35000 years ago.

Previous archeological studies had yielded decorative beads, two pierced shells, two deer teeth and a piece of Hematite, which were possibly used as pendants.

Archeologists believe these ornamental objects are the oldest of their kind to have ever been found in Iran.
HNS or HSS? One can only wonder.

Well, dang -

Hematite, again.

Let alone the pierced shells.

Does anyone disagree

That both Homo n. and Homo s. used hematite for similar purposes?

"One can only wonder."

Und so..............

Unless the similar use of Hematite and drilled shells were invented independently

By both,

THERE WAS A COGNITIVE, COMMUNICATIVE LINK,

WHICH INDICATES THE EXISTENCE OF A SHARED SYMBOLOGY

AND, AT THE LEAST,

A LINGUA FRANCA,

WHETHER OR NOT THE POPULATIONS WERE CAPABLE OF INTERBREEDING.

In short, shared cognition

Never mind if you are a blond or a redhead, black or yellow, red or white.

hoka hey

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Hematite, again.

I wasn't going to say it, John!

:lol:

-- George Carlin