Mayan History Wrong!

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Post by Digit »

That eliminates a few I guess!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Damn near most.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

gunny wrote:Brought up the subject of foreign influence on the Mayas architecture, which differed 3000000 % from the other hunter/gather tribes north and south of them at a Mensa meeting. They did not know what the hell I was talking about, Went back to their stupid puzzles. If the hostess was not so cute--would just go and have a beer.
Don't understand.
Three MILLION percent? Are you quite sure about that, and where are we drawing the lines of north and south?
Kaminaljuyu (which is pretty damn early) shows signs of Teotihuacano influence (in terms of both form and method of construction) to the extent that it's strongly suggested that it may have been a Teotihuacano colony. Similarly, the much later Tollan and Chichen Itza sites strongly suggest parallels, and if we want to go way north, you can trace an evolution of structures from the Maya to Central Mexico right up to La Quemada and perhaps even Cahokia in the States.
If you mean foreign influence in terms of Classic or late Classic architectural embellishments, there are very clear precedents found in Olmec and then Zapotec art (as really should be noted by any who think the Mayan God Chac was an elephant) and it seems to me that the only way you could possibly miss this is by wilfully ignoring it.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I don’t know that it is so much the method of construction as the shape, and perhaps orientation, of what was constructed.
The pyramid “mounds” of NA are made of dirt because that is what was there.
gunny

Post by gunny »

Was a Mensa member for a few years. GREAT cocktail parties in homes you would not believe. The booze was straightahead, but it all ended up with these stupid puzzles. If 4 is to 2000 how does 5/8th correspond to PI ??? Drinked my Moet, and left.
gunny

Post by gunny »

MUST add this from my Mensa days---all newcomers were given the puzzle---"Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water--Both had a quarter, Jill came down with 50 cents,,Did they go up for water?" Your answer, in Mensa terms, would be Wrong!!!!